SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
rainelyn
Style_council
rainelyn

i’m having a little moral dilemma—i went antiquing and vintage shopping today and i picked up a mink headband. it’s really beautiful but i feel guilty now that i’m home and uhm, google imaging MINK. and hm , boy are they cute. ugh.
should i feel less guilty that it’s vintage? does anyone buy NEW fur? does anyone exclusively buy pre-owned fur to lessen the guilt?

posted about 11 years ago
StreakingScarlettVTG
Style_council
StreakingSca...

Wow, i’m so glad to have found this topic, I sell vintage and have sold to real fur coats from the 70’s 80’s there used to be my nan’s so and are really old i was in two minds about selling vintage real fur as it is cruel, i agree, if it is vintage why not wear it. But i would never buy new real fur.

posted almost 11 years ago

velvethursday
Style_council
velvethursday

i, too, would never ever buy new fur but! i have had the conversation about vintage with a friend before (us being the animal lovers that we are) and we came to the conclusion that it is so much better for someone to be wearing it and truly appreciating it then for it all to have been for naught and the item is just sitting in someone’s attic or a landfill.

hhaak
Style_council
hhaak

i dont think theres anything wrong with vintage fur. its already been killed, made and bought- might as well use it.
UNLESS its getting donated to COATS FOR CUBS which uses old fur products to warm baby animals naturally when their orphaned.
i plan on donating all my grandmas fur to them soon. visit at hsus.org

i cant wear fur products though- they smell and all i can think about it how it used to be a living creature. it literally smells like death to me…
theres so many good faux products out now too so theres always the option.
hh

Rubyz
Style_council
Rubyz

I don’t buy fur or wear fur because I personally think it is tacky. I would wear it however if it is on something super cute and if someone else gave it to me.

jetaime
Style_council
jetaime

Personally, I would wear vintage fur, because it does not affect the animals further etc.
but, I don’t have the guts to wear fur because people will think I kill animals haha, which is not my goal, I’m a vegetarian!

alexisthegreat
Style_council
alexisthegreat

i absolutely cannot rock fur anything.

Arya
Style_council
Arya

I don’t have a problem wearing coats as long as they’re not from chinchillas or something from somethingn you have skin alive. o.o

And since I live in a tropical country, it’s too tacky and stupid to wear fur here, haha!

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

i wouldn’t buy a new fur coat or whatever, because as somebody already stated that creates a demand for it, unlike buying second-hand… but if, say, my gran gave me an old fur coat of hers, i won’t say “ew no”, because if it was a beautiful piece i’d like to wear it! Besides, i eat meat and wear leather so i’m not really going to cite animal cruelty.
Also – does anyone else think it’s stupid to throw paint on fur wearers ? if somebody ruined my (hypothetical) fur coat, i’d go and buy a new one, resulting in the slaughter of 50 more weasels or whatever.

Idhren
Style_council
Idhren

I’d wear second hand fur. It’s just a shame to waste all those skins, if the animal is dead, it’s just a disgrace to have it let die for nothing. So make the best out of it. I wouldn’t wear fake since that’s just so bad for the environment. Another dime for the oil companys, ultimately…

Plus do you really make your ethical choices based on how cute the victim was? Well, better use not-cute animals then! How about an ugly racoon, or a bunch of filthy rats. Can’t feel bad about rats!

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

^^ that winds me up no end, when people only give a damn about the plight of a “cute” animal!

but anyway. i totally forgot about that, fake fur has its downsides too.

ruuth
Style_council
ruuth

Where I’m from you get loads of mink and believe me they are NOT like cute little rabbits or something. They are vicious and are just plain not nice. They kill loads of different animals like sheep, which doesn’t make them popular when thats what a lot of people on my island make money from. They aren’t particularly nice animals, even though they look good, probably why they make good coats! I would wear mink just to scare them away, “don’t come near me or I’ll make you into my next coat!”

Seriously though.. I would wear fur. I’d probably feel bad and if there was a good enough faux fur coat there instead I’d be tempted to buy that one, but this is an ultimate fashion item that looks amazing…

Lizzy_Lou
Style_council
Lizzy_Lou

No. Even if I wasn’t a vegetarian, I wouldn’t because I have personally never seen anything made of fur that was to die for.

posted about 10 years ago

Averleigh
Style_council
Averleigh

I personally don’t like the look of fur, real or fake.

SpammishRice
Style_council
SpammishRice

I can’t logically cite animal cruelty since I wear leather and eat meat, but at least with cows, I’m wasting LESS product. I don’t think people eat mink or fox, and I can’t justify killing an animal solely for aesthetics.

Also, fur is just way too high-maintenance for me. It picks up smells way too easily and caring for it would be too bothersome.

Idontknowmomo
Style_council
Idontknowmomo

I wear fur. It’s a personal choice, do whatever you think is right.

jadeyoudk
Style_council
jadeyoudk

If it looks good on me and I heard fur coats are really warm, so why not? i would buy one from a secondhand store of course! like ldontknowmomo said, its a personal choice but so far I dont have any except for fake ones.

Ninahhh
Style_council
Ninahhh

im a vegetarian so i say no to fur.

it may look good. but i wouldnt want someone ripping my hair off for them to wear. so why an animal?

your choice!

New_user 52542 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 52542 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I’m a vegetarian and I bought an authentic Mongolian vest which was BAD.
Of course I felt terrible for it, but I wanted it so bad so I just got it.

I love it to much I just didn’t care what it was made out of.

RosaB
Style_council
RosaB

I will never wear or buy fur.. I believe that animals should be respected and I RATHER GO NAKED THAN WEARING FUR… seriously the way they kill them is just unethical in my point of view… but I respect the opinion of the other people I am just sharing my point of view

anonymours
Style_council
anonymours

would never intentionally,.

CoralChicXO
New_user CoralChicXO is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When CoralChicXO reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
CoralChicXO

I only have faux fur pieces, I can’t stand the idea of wearing an animal.

posted almost 9 years ago

SilviaTirado
Style_council
SilviaTirado

Real fur smells funky! Feel weird wearing an animal too

wrensandroses
Style_council
wrensandroses

I don’t mind second hand fur. It is better for the environment than faux fur which is made from petro-chemicals. Animal skins have been a part of fashion since the beginning of time. But there is no need to kill to wear fur. There is enough vintage or used fur out there already. Instead of killing more animals, designers should collect old fur and re-style it . I ALWAYS see furs at the thrift shop.

wickeddchildd
New_user wickeddchildd is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When wickeddchildd reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
wickeddchildd

fake yes, real NEVER !

click this link to check out my blog :) ?
click this link to check out my blog :) ?

F4SHI0N
Style_council
F4SHI0N

naaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password