Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
SONIAP
Style_council
SONIAP

Hi

If you saw a dress that you really liked the pattern of , but its a little long – would you buy and then alter it

im worried i would ruin the design – but ?? should i ??

posted about 9 years ago
kia
Style_council
kia

You should take a look at this blog. She thrifts for dresses, only spending $1 a day, and then alters them to her liking. Her goal is to get/make 365 dresses on a $1 a day budget, for a year. It’s pretty inspiring! I think you’ll see that it’s easy to make a long dress modern!

posted about 9 years ago

FrivolousDistinction
Style_council
FrivolousDis...

I alter clothes, but it depends. Here are a few things to consider:

It’s easy to take up a plain dress or one with a small or simple print without affecting the design. On a printed dress, I usually prefer to have the hem hitting at a point where the fabric is plain, rather than cutting through the print. Make sure the length you want it suits the weight of the fabric, so it still hangs well, and the overall style you’re going for. Also ensure no functional parts of the dress would be affected, like fastenings or linings, or that you know how to fix those things.

It’s harder to hem something shorter if the print is large or elaborate and altering it involves cutting some of a print off in a way that would look awkward. Particularly if the same pattern appears in full elsewhere in the dress, which can make alterations look obvious. If I couldn’t easily take it up from the hem, I’d look at the waistband (and the print in this area) to see if I could take it up and in there. That’s more complicated, though.

I never spend a lot of money on items that I plan to alter or customise – they’re always either thrifted, vintage or sale finds.

posted about 9 years ago

MiuSan
Style_council
MiuSan

I do take a lot of clothes I don’t wear anymore and alter them.
Lately been altering old dress shirts, jeans and t-shirts.
Such a waste these days to buy like 2 whole wardrobes a year and then just chuck them into charity =/

posted about 9 years ago

woocie
Style_council
woocie

to the second post, i looove her blog. i’m not that good at altering though – actually, i haven’t tried, but i do sew little crafts and blankets and such.

altering wouldn’t affect the fabric if it’s cotton, polyester, or rayon. you might want to be careful with the other materials, and jackets and jeans. jeans are hard to alter. i know this because my mom is a seamstress, ahah :)

posted about 9 years ago

amoebaeinwedges
Style_council
amoebaeinwedges

I WOULD hahah i would get it and think about the alteration later on. i just thrifted a printed dress but the length makes me look motherly. so i need/will crop is as short as possible hahaa

posted about 9 years ago

lc_tex
Style_council
lc_tex

I would buy it and have it altered if you are capable of altering it yourself you should go for it. just pin it first to the length you think you want and if you like it make it permanent!

posted almost 9 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

I would if i knew how…

vrod
Style_council
vrod

I have bought a sewing machine about a year and a half ago. I originally bought it to sew patches on vests. After a while I found myself altering some jeans.I am hoping to figure out how to read patterns son I can make some clothes.

sleeponthefloor
Style_council
sleeponthefloor

I would if I could sew at all!

Taylore_Anne
Style_council
Taylore_Anne

If I was handy with a neddle and thread then I would all the way…. but I am not, thank fully my bestest buddy is a seamstress…. Karma is good to me.

tammmmy
New_user tammmmy is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When tammmmy reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
tammmmy

i would take it to the tailor until i get better at altering myself

opfiend
Style_council
opfiend

It depends on your sewing experience.

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

If it’s just the length that needs to be shortened and hemmed then yeah i’d buy

REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password