SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
lovelylethargy
Style_council
lovelylethargy

In the past I’ve read about people who plan their wardrobe season by season, picking what pieces they need to buy, what they should spend the most money on and such. I believe it’s particularly popular among the French, but don’t hold me to that. I was just wondering how many of you put a lot of thought into what you buy. Do you have a sort of mental checklist when you see that season’s shows? Do you just buy whatever you like? Do you think it takes the fun out of things to plan what you’ll be buying? Is is better to leave so leeway and just get a general feel for what you like? Am I completely crazy for thinking these questions are relevant? Just wanted to get some discussion going. (:

posted over 8 years ago
MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I don’t plan it out season by season or even write it down, but I do tend to keep a running mental checklist of things I need/want to buy. Sometimes they are replacements of things I wear all the time that have worn out, in which case I have a specific idea of what I want. But sometimes they are new trends that I’ve seen that I like and can see myself wearing, and then I’m more flexible and sort of wait for something to jump out for me when I’m shopping.

I’m usually pretty good about sticking to my list when I go shopping but of course there are some times I go off the list. If I see something that looks really nice, it fits me, it’s in my price range, and I can imagine wearing it with other things I already own, I usually go for it. I think those sort of purchases help keep experimentation and creativity alive— but I think my wardrobe might be too disjointed and random if they were the only type of purchases I ever made.

posted over 8 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I don’t plan anything out, because it’ll often lead to disappointment if I can’t find exactly what I’m looking for. I just keep a general idea of what in my head when I go shopping. the things I love most tend to be random finds :)

posted over 8 years ago

MiuSan
Style_council
MiuSan

I do have a mental checklist, which is more or less on trend, usually I try to buy things I can wear over and over. And ofc I stick to my list :)

I usually have 2 or 3 things I want to buy for summer, a few in-between’s and 2-3 for winter. And this accumulates to a nice wardrobe over the course of 2 years. Very economical too I think since it does make you utilize your wardrobe and think about your purchases over a longer period of time, which usually is hard we being human and all! :)

posted over 8 years ago

xokeishaxo
Style_council
xokeishaxo

I only do this with my pricier items that get used more like shoes and bags. With shoes I’m slightly crazy. I’ve discovered the value in purchasing better shoes but with that I also feel I have a right to be pickier. Clothes I go with a general idea but I’m way more flexible.

posted over 8 years ago

franloiacono
Style_council
franloiacono

I usually buy what I like, yeah sometimes when I see something I like I ask myself if and how I can pair the new item with something old, but mostly because I don’t want to left it all alone in the closet lol

posted over 8 years ago

trinnah
Style_council
trinnah

I don’t do that, but I probably should. I think I’ll probably save more money that way. I always just buy what I like at the time, even if I’m not sure if I already have something similar in my closet. I actually like how people plan to look for certain items that way they don’t get swayed to buy something else when they’re shopping. :)

posted over 8 years ago

_ReD_LiPsTiCk_
Style_council
_ReD_LiPsTiCk_

I just buy what I like. I get a lot of inspiration from mannequins in stores or what I see on here. Sometimes I find these gorgeous random pieces that I have to have and get home and have no clue what to match. So now when I find those one of a find pieces i try and walk away with at least two ides what to wear it with.

posted over 8 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

I usually don’t plan for anything. I’m a very impulsive shopper!! Online/ebay shopping makes it worse, haha. Sometimes I do try and make a list of items I want to buy, but I usually don’t end up buying what I exactly want because i’m on a budget. I guess I don’t really need anything new as I already have a lot of clothes for each each season so if I see something cheap and I think i’m going to get wear out of it, I will buy it. Expensive items would require more thought and planning but I don’t make many expensive purchases so I plan less :P

posted over 8 years ago

SONIAP
Style_council
SONIAP

trust Apple to have an APP for that !!!

There is quite a few wardrobe app , so you can take a picture of your clothes , your tops and your trousers , dresses and then mix and match , IT’s amazing!

xxx

posted over 8 years ago

myVINTAGEheart
Style_council
myVINTAGEheart

SoniaP thanks for mentioning the Apple app…that’s just what I need!

As for the subject at hand, I usually shop for a few new pieces each season. So I make a mental list of the different trends I like and I am constantly getting some new pieces to update the wardrobe. Luckily,trends come back so I get to recycle a lot. But it seems like I am always shopping…everything season is something!

posted about 8 years ago

kmbessem12
Style_council
kmbessem12

Personally when I make a list/plan of what to buy, I always end up getting a bunch of other stuff as well! And then I have so many new items at once that certain things get put in the back of my closet and are never worn. If you don’t want to overstock things, go through what you have and then figure out a few bold/trendy items that would give all of your current items a new twist. Then when you come upon those amazing finds, you’ll still have room for them in your closet!

posted about 8 years ago

quarantinethepast
Style_council
quarantineth...

Yep, I do that! At the beginning of every season (or every school year or something, just whenever I need/want new clothes) I make a list of clothes that I want to buy. I always end up buying a bunch of other stuff though. :/

posted about 8 years ago

sandmallow
Style_council
sandmallow

I try not to buy random things, b/c you may have a hard time matching the item to your current warobe and may never end up wearing or using the piece. When I buy its usually because i plan to wear the shoes with a dress i already have, or a piece of clothing i know it will fit into what i like and my style. The only time I stray is when I go thrift/vintage shopping. You never know what you might find.

posted about 8 years ago

tiffygo
Style_council
tiffygo

Well it’s extremely important to have basic clothes in your wardrobe (e.g. black/white tank tops, tees, shorts, etc.) Besides that, I don’t think too much about what I buy. If I want something, I’m gonna go get it. :)

posted about 8 years ago

carina_alvarez
Style_council
carina_alvarez

As the seasons change, I do my research. Reading different magazines (In Style, and Harper’s Bazzar are my favorite sources), checking out blogs and I even check out catwalk photos from designers for that particular season. I have a mental checklist of items that are must—haves or even looks that I love.

For instance, this fall, I really want to wear a lot of bold colors and use them to color block. I just look for pieces as I’m shopping, for colors that stand out to me in silohuettes that flatter my figure.

To be honest, I think I do all this “research” because it’s fun. In the end, I buy what I buy because I LOVE it and when I try it on I think I HAVE to have this!!!

posted about 8 years ago

summerlyne
Style_council
summerlyne

these questions are relevent for sure! paying attention to whats coming out and inspiration from bloggers and your own personal style will always have you creating something new with no need for planning. i seem to have a one item checklist at a time. ususally ill be inspired by someone or something and it becomes the most coveted piece for me and that is when i am official on the hunt. the rest of the list just become things that i may or may not find.

posted about 8 years ago

Sandmagic
New_user Sandmagic is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When Sandmagic reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
Sandmagic

When a new season comes I always have a general idea of some things that I definitely want/need. Like this fall I came knowing I wanted some sweaters some distressed jeans and some riding boots. Of course that’s not all I’m going to buy but when I’m shopping I definitely make sure to get those couple of items I came for

posted about 8 years ago

BowsandGlitterxo
Style_council
BowsandGlitt...

im really bad i never have a checklist when i do go shopping bc i go on a whim. or if i have a list it usually goes out the window and i just gravitate towards ANYTHING that catches my eye

posted about 8 years ago

midniteblues
Style_council
midniteblues

I love doing lists and I do them with fashion too but that doesn’t mean I will follow them when I get to the shops!!!

posted about 8 years ago

FashionTrendsMore
Style_council
FashionTrend...

I don’t really plan and if I do, I don’t follow my plan! I buy too much clothing so I’m trying to cut down to buying 3-5 pieces every season.

posted about 8 years ago

plasticflowergarden
Style_council
plasticflowe...

I don’t really plan by season, but I do tend to keep an eye out or focus on finding particular pieces. Having a list really does help with not going overboard and also in avoiding pieces I may later regret buying. Right now my mental checklist is an oversized plaid flannel, denim jacket, and a pair of red plaid pointed-toe flats (I saw a pair of these at a thrift shop yesterday, fell in love, but also nearly fell over because they were 3 1/2 sizes too big for me).

posted about 8 years ago

kelseykelsey
Style_council
kelseykelsey

psh nah. but if there’s something I really want I save it as a note in my phone so when I’m shopping and don’t know what to look for I look through my notes. I do that with non-fashion crap too, though, like “chapstick” and “hangers” are in my phone right now.

posted about 8 years ago

oliviaba7x
Style_council
oliviaba7x

At the start of the season yes, if its spring I might buy some new shorts and a flowy top. In fall I buy more sweaters and legwear, but usually I just buy whatever I feel is lacking in my closet. The other day I went crazy for tight body con skirts, are they a smart purchase for fall? Proably not.

posted about 8 years ago

itshayliebrooke
Style_council
itshayliebrooke

i deffinatley have a mental checklist of what i want to buy for the next season, but im not really strict about it, for example i wont make sure that i get everything no matter what. but personally i dont think its a big deal if you dont

posted about 8 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password