SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
4everfashionablylate
Style_council
4everfashion...

Ever since I quit my job at the beginning of July I’ve been much, much happier… except it’s been killing me that I seriously can NOT let myself buy anything!! On the bright side… I went through my closet (to the very back) and found a bunch of cool things that I completely forgot about as well as some other random stuff to sell for some extra cash : )

posted about 8 years ago
MiuSan
Style_council
MiuSan

Not too hard to resist if you really don’t have the money?

If your still finding it hard, you should probably consider your finances in general as well. People who are tempted to spend more than they can afford usually have a poor picture of their finances as a whole. Don’t know if i’m putting this the right way now, but i am using myself as an example!

Practise self control and all that cliche!

posted about 8 years ago

patlaenz
Style_council
patlaenz

I know the feeling…try selling your extra things here.
I love to shopp my best friend too so we shopp togheter to keep an eye on each other to keep it under control

posted about 8 years ago

francina04
Style_council
francina04

Very familiar with the feeling. I have to stop visiting the sites, to avoid any temptation…

posted about 8 years ago

bohoprincess
Style_council
bohoprincess

i have the same problem why dont you try to budget your money

posted about 8 years ago

sheilamdenison
Style_council
sheilamdenison

Usually when I come across this problem I think of something I really want or need and then anytime I get the urge to spend money I tell myself that I have to save my money so that I can get it.

posted about 8 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I agree with the above that the most important thing is to get your head around your finances and need vs. want in general. But also some practical tips:

1) Don’t go to the mall or stores. Out of sight, out of mind. If friends invite you to shop, suggest something else to do or decline the invitation.
2) Don’t visit shopping/store websites. Remove them from your bookmarks if you keep them there. And if you have trouble exerting the willpower yourself, you can even block the sites for your favorite stores. (For example, BlockSite add-on for Firefox). Even if all you have to do is type in a password, it’s an extra step that gives you time to think about whether it’s a good idea.
3) Don’t store your card info on the website.Then keep your purse in a different room from the computer. Even having to get up and walk to get your credit card can make you stop and think about whether it’s a necessary purchase.
4) Consider setting an official “shopping day” every month (or whatever time is good) and set a budget for it. When you feel the urge to shop, you can look at things to add to the list without buying them— but then when the time comes to actually buy, review the list and cross off the things you don’t actually need and ensure everything stays in budget before you order. Most of the time the things we want don’t look as appealing after sitting on the idea of them for a few weeks anyway. Either that, or they get cheaper! (:

And I think it’s great you’ve already “shopped your closet”! With creative styling and reinvention something you’ve owned for years can feel brand new, and there’s no point keeping around something you don’t wear if you could sell it and get something you would.

posted about 8 years ago

_ReD_LiPsTiCk_
Style_council
_ReD_LiPsTiCk_

Resisting shopping online for me is easy because i hate waiting for things to ship lol. I know I am very impatient. If I do order something online it is because I had to have it which makes me more anxious when it comes to waiting. Shopping in stores is the real battle. You see something in H&M and all you have to do is walk to the register and its yours. So I try to stay out of the malls but I do a lot of window shopping online so that I dont get too out of touch with fashion. If I see something I really want, then I will treat myself but that only happens once a month.

posted about 8 years ago

staystitching
Style_council
staystitching

i just look at my bank account and when i find that my balance is under $20 i know i cant shop. im funemployed as well

posted about 8 years ago

livisfat
Style_council
livisfat

I don’t have a credit card.

posted about 8 years ago

hadelicious
Style_council
hadelicious

I just look at my bank statement or my wallet. That will definitely discourage me. If I don’t have the cash then shopping would be a silly thing to do..duh!

posted about 8 years ago

myVINTAGEheart
Style_council
myVINTAGEheart

MurasakiNeko you have given all of us some great ideas….that even I’ll use. I have been on a shopping spree for a while and I have to get back to saving and paying up some credit cards. In the past, what has worked best for me is to not go to the mall…avoid it like the plague. Also, right now I have my credit cards in the freezer. Put them in a zip lock bag with water inside and freeze it. Knowing you have to thaw your cards up to use them will discourage you. Don’t worry…the cards don’t get damaged!

posted about 8 years ago

ttttiffanieex33
Style_council
ttttiffanieex33

I try to find different ways to wear my clothes. Like a cute shirt with a jean jacket. : )

posted about 8 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

If you want to buy something, maybe get something small/cheap that can reinvent a look without having to buy a whole new outfit (i.e. small accessories like a belt?).

This is kind of unrelated, but it really helps to have your clothes organized and visible—that way you know you really don’t need a 4th black skirt or another grey coat or whatnot. I was like this with my earrings—I had them all stored away in small boxes and it was only when I hung them (super easy DIY: get window screening from a hardware store and attach it to a frame!) that I realized I had 3 pairs that were almost identical :P

Along with physically being organized, I think it’s important to track your expenses. I just created an excel sheet of what I’ve spent this month, and seeing the numbers all added up definitely made me more mindful of my spending. I downloaded this one| from microsoft and just personalized it with my own categories :)

posted about 8 years ago

BowsandGlitterxo
Style_council
BowsandGlitt...

i sti start thinking out loud the negatives, or keep asking do i really need this, or say i can use the money for this instead.
btw where did you sell your old stuff because i might do so for extra cash

posted about 8 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password