Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
ladycarcar
Style_council
ladycarcar

When you do not believe in the religion, is it okay to wear clothing that may imply that you are a believer, yes or no?

posted over 8 years ago
MiuSan
Style_council
MiuSan

These 2 don’t really go together. The topic sort of made me think this thread is about something else.
Or maybe it was cause i don’t believe that my 2 shirts with pictures of virgin Mary make me look like a believer.
And furthermore, some religions forbid using images to describe gods, saints, holy men and so on.

posted over 8 years ago

glitterpeacock
Style_council
glitterpeacock

I think it’s disrespectful, but I can appreciate that those who have no religious beliefs might struggle to understand the importance of religious imagery.
So I ignore trends for crucifixes etc.

However, I saw a guy the other day with a disfigured picture of Jesus on a t-shirt and it made me a mixture of sad and angry.

posted over 8 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Interesting topic! I’m not religious in any way, and I agree with MiuSan that wearing clothes with certain images doesn’t necessarily imply that you’re religious (a few years ago there were tshirts with “jesus is my homeboy” and an image on them that were pretty popular, i’m not sure if the majority of the people wearing them were firm believers..) but I personally wouldn’t. Even though jewelery or rings with a cross on it may be a ‘trend,’ I would feel silly wearing something like that as I don’t have any religious belief at all.

Here is another forum topic which is discussing wearing rosary beads as a necklace.

posted over 8 years ago

fashionophile
Style_council
fashionophile

I feel like the Cross symbol has become fashionable for some reason…although I would never wear it for what it symbolizes and I don’t want to offend others.

While a symbol is just an plain ol’ symbol to some, it is also very significant and meaningful to others.

posted over 8 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

Though I don’t generally care about what others think about how I dress, I wouldn’t wear religious symbols at risk of offending anyone. I don’t practice any religion, so I’ve always felt a little awkward associating myself with something such as a cross, even if it’s merely on a ring or pendant. I understand that other people do believe in religions, and I personally insist on respecting their beliefs.

posted over 8 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

it can be disrespectful…I certainly wouldn’t wear tees with religious images on them…i wear my saints bracelet though

posted over 8 years ago

jenuang
Style_council
jenuang

if its morphed into sumtin cool, im all for a graphic t

posted over 8 years ago

gutsnglamour
Style_council
gutsnglamour

Tacky.

posted over 8 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

Like Catherinee, I would feel awkward wearing religious imagery when I don’t subscribe to the faith. I would be afraid of wearing it in a disrespectful way. And with so many other secular symbols to choose from (from hearts to anchors to keys to animals, etc) why insist on one that could potentially offend someone?

And I’ll admit I tend to assume that if someone wears a religious symbol, they are part of that religion (even though as Miu San and coldlight pointed out that’s not always true). For example, if I see someone wearing a large, blingy cross necklace I just assume they are Christian who enjoys a trendy way of expressing their faith. So I guess that’s an argument against wearing them if you’re not religious: you might confuse people!

posted over 8 years ago

Reybeltane
Style_council
Reybeltane

I personally wouldn’t. I mean, people wear crosses on necklaces, but have you ever really seen someone go further and make it look something other than tacky? Plus, in my opinion, if your religion is something that you have to promote so much that it even shows in your fashion, you might be putting it in others’ faces a bit much.

posted over 8 years ago

OnTheGanges
Style_council
OnTheGanges

In most instances (well, I can’t really think of one that I would disagree with), I think jewelery is perfectly fine. It’s subtle and a lot of it looks really nice.

Now clothing, on the other hand…it really depends. I recently bought a tank by the company Insight that was on Lulu*s website (called the Insight Chakra tank), which included an image of the Hindu god Vishnu. I bought it because I love the culture and their religion, and I also particularly like Vishnu. I like that I was able to find a very fashionable piece that also can reflect my interest in Hindu theology. I also wear an Om necklace on occasion, because it has a particular meaning to me.

So all in all, I don’t mind it. It’s not ‘in your face’ to wear a religious symbol, if that certain symbol has a certain meaning to you. You’re simply wearing it proudly for your own self — at least, that’s how I think people should go about it.

posted over 8 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

Crosses are super popular but even though I think ti looks nice, I would never wear it because it symbolizes something I don’t believe in. I also think its rather disrespectful since the cross is a symbol of other people’s beliefs and I don’t think you should just wear it as a fashion accessory when it symbolizes a huge part of some peoples’ lives.

posted over 8 years ago

ohlisa
Style_council
ohlisa

I am religious and it only bothers me when people wear religious symbols just purely as decoration. Especially girls who throw on a rosary with short shorts and see through singlet crop tops. It’s disrespectful not to mention tacky

posted over 8 years ago

JanelleEfe
Style_council
JanelleEfe

I feel that non-religious people who wear religious accessories or clothing are trying too hard to be edgy and avant-garde. I’d liken it to a heterosexual rocking a shirt that says “I love fags”—sure, it’s all fun and games but inevitably someone’s going to be pissed off that you’re mocking them.

posted over 8 years ago

OmniDimensional
Style_council
OmniDimensional

Who cares. If christians can walk around with signs that say “god hates fags” then non-religious people can wear crosses. Freedom of speech and also religion, it is in the constitution.

posted over 8 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password