Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Valleygirl
Style_council
Valleygirl

I think it gives off the impression that the guy never thought too much about how he’s perceived. As a woman, I would want a guy who has a little more intuition about how his actions, yes choice of clothing included, can be interpreted. I know dating a guy who works for G, Y, or the famous fruit is generally a good catch to show off to parents, but do you have to fit the stereotype?

posted over 11 years ago
maxxthewolf
Style_council
maxxthewolf

One word. Free.
Guys like free (as in beer). The easiest way to get us to change (temporarily) is to say something suggestive about our eagle muscles, or use the word ‘sexy’ when referring to the T-shirt you’d prefer for us to wear.

posted over 11 years ago

Valleygirl
Style_council
Valleygirl

Yes. I understand that guys like free things. So do I. By no means am I a gold digger. I moved up here from LA because I can’t stand all the pretentious kids. I like the fact that people in the Bay Area are more into brains than looks. It’s cool. But I’m just asking that men here dress a little more “grown up”, you know? I know at engineering jobs, the more slopping you dress, the more confident you project as a coder. However, from a woman’s point of view, this doesn’t translate to “great catch” when the guy shows up to a date in a eCommerce T-shirt. It only sends the message – I’ve never had a girlfriend before.

posted over 11 years ago

maxxthewolf
Style_council
maxxthewolf

Oh, for sure. No argument from me there – thats clearly a douchebag move; or else one that screams “this date is taking away from my work schedule!”
That said, I hope more guys dress badly on dates. Anything that reduces the competition, I say :-)

posted over 11 years ago

lulu
Style_council
lulu

Hey Maxx, if I made you a t-shirt out of dog droppings, would you wear that too? Its free?

posted over 11 years ago

MaryJane
Style_council
MaryJane

haha. poor Maxx. not to gang up on you, but really, if a bum on the street gave you a roll of toilet paper and said: it’s free, here, use it. would you?
so it’s the same concept as accepting the free t-shirt. what are your decision points?
1. is it useful? yes, both the toilet paper and the free t-shirt
2. is it usable? yes, both the toilet paper and the free t-shirt
3. what would it say to the world if i used it? i’m a bum, accepting and using free stuff without any critical thinking on my own.

posted over 11 years ago

maxxthewolf
Style_council
maxxthewolf

Ladies, ladies… you misunderstand the reference to “free as in beer”, so allow me to start by providing a modest education by pointing you in the direction of Wikipedia. “http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_beer”;. Perhaps I should have used Gratis vs Libre instead, but chose a colloquialism easily understood.
Critical thinking assumes that all guys think about fashion first, and financial remuneration second. This is obviously not the case for most. SO when you say critical thinking, that would be from a womans’ POV, and not that of a man. Critical thinking for a guy would take the form of:
Is there a scenario where i can use this, now or later?
How does it benefit me to acquire this?
Do I see a downside?
This is why I suggested that if you want to appeal to the critical thinking of a guy, perhaps applying a womans’ POV isn’t the best plan of action. A comment from a girl that suggests a “sexy” shirt is more likely to leave the free tshirt in the dresser drawer, because there is now clearly an upside to wearing the one you’ve recommended. Targeting your audience goes a long way, even wih Neanderthals.
Depending on the workplace and the job, appearing in a slovenly outfit is almost a badge of superiority over ones’ peers. In the argument above, I agree with ValleyGirl that translating this to a date is clearly not a goo idea.
Finally, lets examine the “free shirt made of dog crap” – I would assume this to be difficult to make, though having not had the experience of working with such an esoteric material, cannot claim the privilege of knowing what that may be like. I confess that I would probably wear it, for the novelty factor alone. Just don’t make it too tight, ‘kay?

posted over 11 years ago

MaryJane
Style_council
MaryJane

okay, so i accept the argument that most men don’t take fashion into consideration when it comes to critical thinking. but i do hear very often, mostly from engineering majors at school, that they don’t attract enough attention from women. by dressing well on a regular basis, you are putting out a statement: i am conscious of myself and i will make a conscious effort on dates. by dressing like a slob all the time, you are saying: i have no self awareness and i probably will act like a goof-ball on a date. i see your point that there is a time and place to look good for guys. but getting in the habit early doesn’t hurt :-)

posted over 11 years ago

EverybodyIsUgly
Style_council
EverybodyIsUgly

Well let me do a cost/ benefit analysis for you.
Free ugly t-shirt
Cost: none
Benefit: clothes, a lifetime alone
Not ugly t-shirt
Cost: $10
Benefit: clothes, women

posted over 11 years ago

maxxthewolf
Style_council
maxxthewolf

MJ, I’m sure women see it that way. The vast majority of engineers (who were once majors) are mostly uninterested in fashion and see it as an effeminate pursuit.
My own observation is that while chicks tend to be heavy-handed on the sartorial observations, the vast majority of you date guys who do in fact dress like slobs. Perhaps that because you’re hoping they’ll change, perhaps you’re hoping to be the ones who will effect said change. In either case, I’ve seldom seem a beast get a second chance because of his t-shirt (as Lulu implied) or an attractive guy get shut down because he happened to be wearing a potato sack. It is disingenuous – and beneficial only to clothing companies – to suggest that the clothes will give the man a second chance.
My guess is that if Brad Pitt wore Lulu’s dog turd shirt (with ‘Oracle’ emblazoned across the front), they’d start selling at Nordstrom’s for $200 a pop. Remember Assman Kutcher’s trucker hats?

posted over 11 years ago

Valleygirl
Style_council
Valleygirl

Wolf (great name btw), I think the extremes are definitely true. If you are Brad, you’ll look hot in a Kmart t-shirt. And if you are fat Al, then a Zegna suit probably won’t do you any good. But we are talking about the 5, 6, 7s. You know, the guys next cube to you at the office. Men that are not HOT but not ugly either. It’s like girls putting on makeup. While foundation + eyeliner will not make a 5 turn into a 10, it can likely bump you up to a 6. In the world where the first impression counts so much, wouldn’t guys want a little something to give you a slight higher rating?

posted over 11 years ago

maxxthewolf
Style_council
maxxthewolf

Valleygirl, I agree – well, not re: the guy in the cube next to me ;-0 – that first impressions count, and guys should do more about dressing better. I’d guess that most guys would be happy to have a woman give them clothing tips, as long as it came with constructive criticism.
Lulu’s criticism is an exception; but only because her first impression includes all of the subtlety of a hand grenade thrown into a paint vat. :-)

posted over 11 years ago

lulu
Style_council
lulu

You like it.

posted over 11 years ago

leedaniel
Style_council
leedaniel

MaryJane’s post QFT.
bump for great justice.
that kind of shirt is ok for lounging around at home, laundromat, or washing your car.
what not to wear is as important as when not to wear it.

posted over 11 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password