wetwet
Style_council
wetwet

un-imaginative and boring. please dont wear head to toe, ugh

posted about 11 years ago
changology
Style_council
changology

oh god…american apparel head to toe is such an eyesore.

bloodycriticism
Style_council
bloodycriticism

well that just doesn’t seem logical (unless using it for dancewear). hahaha.
i dunno whenever im looking at the AA site I’m never scouting around for a FULL OUTFIT, half the time i don’t even find the majority of their clothes appealing. its just the individual pieces i like every now and then.

Shinynickel
Style_council
Shinynickel

I think it can be done right, if you wear their slim slack in a neutral color with one of the less ‘trendy’ type tops, for example the 3 button henley in army green with the black slim slack. Then accessorize from outside stores of course, but the bulk of the outfit is AA and doesn’t look totally 80’s. I can kind of agree though that the head to toe extremely colorful acid wash bright type stuff looks bad.

ratfinkpartytime
Style_council
ratfinkparty...

agreed 100%
anyone who does this looks like a tool
fashion sheep

Prestidigitation
Style_council
Prestidigita...

I’d have to agree with Holly, as half my closet is AA. Basics are what make all the “trends” out there half bearable most of the time! And, excuse me, dressing in head-to-toe American Apparel can be as simple as a t-shirt and jeans and as complicated as polkadot hotshorts, a thermochromatic tee, and a satin night jacket. AA is versitle, that’s what makes it so universal

New_user 1911 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 1911 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

When I first saw the AA website, I thought it was a store for rich prostitutes. I’ve warmed up to it a little, but I still find the pictures on the ads and website trashy and unattractive. The fit is always strange (too small / not proportional) and the material looks cheap and flimsy. Can’t see any head-to-toe AA looking anything besides desperate and overworked. Mass produced basics do not an outfit make. At least not any good ones.

laurelcanyongirl
Style_council
laurelcanyon...

I will have to agree with Holly and disagree with everyone else as well. I am also an American Apparel employee, and I have to wear head to toe American Apparel everyday as well. It’s like a fashion challenge every day, finding ways to put all these things together. I think when most people think of American Apparel, they think shiny gold leggings and flourescent t-shirts. But a lot of our stuff is simple enough to look high fashion without being expensive, and it can look classic and modern without being trendy. You just have to think outside the polka-dot, satin charmeuse, flourescent, thermochromatic, silver lamè box.

New_user 6794 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 6794 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I also disagree. While I wouldn’t wear AA head to toe, I find no problem with buying simple pieces from there to incorporate with my outfit. No one who looked at me would notice that my skirt or top was from AA unless they knew the brand very well. The point of fashion is to find things that work and be inventive with them, pair them with a variety of things! There is nothing inherently wrong with American Apparel—just like there isn’t anything inherently wrong with any other brand people like to hate on. It’s all about how you choose to wear it.

magenta
Style_council
magenta

american apparel is cool to use as basics. the v-neck shirts and hoodies are really cute, even though everyone has them. but when people wear like head to toe (and not for work, because for work you have to) to school or something, it’s just .. blech.

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

Construction on certain items is questionable. The only thing I ever buy nowadays is magazines. Thanks for the Purple Fashion, guys. No one else carries it and lord knows I ain’t ordering it.

merced
Style_council
merced

it’s fine, i suppose, but i kind of agree.
although thats because maybe over here, anyone who tries to look ‘scene’ or ‘emo’ or whatev wears those zip up hoodies every freaking day?

Malinapoo
Style_council
Malinapoo

i have a lot of AA stuff, like ten thousand t-shirts, a few skirts and leggings. But i always try to make my outfit a little less… AA look by pairing my basics with other items that would make the AA item seem more covert than anything. AA head to toe gives me a head ache.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password