Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Avaa
Style_council
Avaa

ii currently want to lose some weight, nothing huge but like 10 pounds would be ideal
would like to hear some tips or ways people
try to be healthier to lose a few pounds here and there,
and even special exercises people do

posted almost 10 years ago
lanton
Style_icon
lanton

here are a few tips my trainer told me:

1. cut out unnecessary sugar intake
2. avoid carbs as much as you can (stick to whole wheat if you must)
3. circuit training
4. eat 6 meals a day (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, snack if you’re still hungry)
5. water, water, and more water

hope this helps. good luck on your weight loss :)

lena xoxo

Avaa
Style_council
Avaa

thanks,
carbs are a huge intake for me esspecially since i’m a vegetarian, but i’ll work on my balancing out better(:

lanton
Style_icon
lanton

i’m italian so you can imagine how much carbs I eat, plus I’m a huge fan of creamy sauces which is also a big no-no.
i don’t cut out anything from my diet or else I’m afraid I will one day binge however I do eat the proper portions. i will still eat my pasta but not as a main dish but purely as a small side to my healthier main meal.
i really hope i helped you and hope you achieve your goal weight soon enough!!!

heyshauna
Style_council
heyshauna

I recently started going to a dietician because I eat very unhealthily as a vegetarian..haha.

One thing she really emphasized was DON’T AVOID CARBS!
Fruits and most veggies are carbs, and whole wheat bread is actually really good for you. She said you should eat 3 to 4 healthy carbs at each meal. Each carb is 15 grams of carbohydrates, so if you have, say a peanut butter sandwich, the bread might be 2 carbs and the peanut butter one. I’m not sure..you’d have to check the labels, but that’s really important.

And you can basically get whole weat everything— tortilla chips, pasta, pancakes, etc.

Also, eat things with a lot of fiber. It makes you fuller faster.

Just really make sure you’re going by portion sizes. It’s easy to overeat when you don’t check those.

sandii
Style_council
sandii

I have never dieted, but I maintain a pretty healthy weight by:

1. Working out about 2-3 times a week for about 45 minutes. You can do this at home! Just doing jumping jacks or taking a really long walk with your dog will be fine! Or you can take a dance class or something you enjoy doing.

2. Cut out sauces in your food. Sauces have a lot of fat and oils, so next time when eating, just take the food, leave the sauce.

3. Portion your food. A lot of people think a serving is this huge plate they give out at like Olive garden, when reality it is maybe 1/2 or 1/3.

4. Eat slower. Your brain takes about 20-30 minutes to tell you that it’s full. So, if you eat slower, your brain can catch up. This will avoid overeating.

Little things like that can lead to a big difference. You really don’t have to change what you eat!

msmichelle
Style_council
msmichelle

Eat clean! Try eating foods closest to it’s natural state. Not saying you have to be extreme and go on a raw food diet. But definitely avoiding overly processed foods and especially High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), anything with that is definitely not healthy. But if you cannot absolutely abstain from junkfood, everything in moderation is fine. For me however, it’s easier for me to slowly ween food out like chips or candy, because once I start I can’t stop. After a while I stop to crave it anyways and don’t feel like I’m missing out :)

Mm, I also like to log what I eat when I can. I love sparkpeople.com!

posted over 9 years ago

New_user 32348 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 32348 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

everyone has good tips. as for everything in moderation, keep in mind that when doctors say we can have junk food occasionally…it means once a month…not once a week.

personally, i eat according to “fist-sized” portions. when having a meal like lunch or dinner, have the meat, veggies, and a staple (like pasta, rice, potatoes, etc) the size of your fist…so 3 fists = meal. you can always have more veggies and less meat. also, if you want to snack, go for UNSALTED nuts or fresh fruit…that’s always a better choice than cookies or chips. you can pretty much eat anything…as long as you like it and don’t go overboard. don’t eat pizza everyday…mix it up and enjoy your food. a diet doesn’t have to stuff that doesn’t taste good.

though, if you work out and exercise moderately (like 3 times a week) you MUST eat more protein to keep your muscles from getting damaged. especially when you lift weights, you’re “breaking” the muscles and they need to be repaired, that’s why you can get sore after a workout.

10 pounds isn’t much to lose and once you stop dieting, the weight will come back because it’s only water weight you’re losing. so, unless you’re planning to eat the same style long-term…weight loss is only temporary. plus, if you add exercising 3 times a week for 30 mins.-1 hr, it creates a bigger effect than changing only your food habits.

fyi, the scale doesn’t tell all…muscle weighs more than fat. you can be the same weight but look so different and toned if you exercise regularly. i’ve known someone who weighed the same but lost 2 dress sizes because they started exercising more. good luck!

posted over 9 years ago

msmichelle
Style_council
msmichelle

“10 pounds isn’t much to lose and once you stop dieting, the weight will come back because it’s only water weight you’re losing. so, unless you’re planning to eat the same style long-term…weight loss is only temporary. plus, if you add exercising 3 times a week for 30 mins.-1 hr, it creates a bigger effect than changing only your food habits.”

I def agree with this. Being healthy should be a lifestyle change (not temporary like a diet). We should all be willing to make lifestyle changes if we want to keep the unwanted weight off. Weight loss will just be a benefit of a more healthy lifestyle :)

posted over 9 years ago

Ju_
Style_council
Ju_

1. water, water &more water

2. excercise…….gym 2-3 times per week

3. eat healthy

4. teeeeaaa!

posted over 9 years ago

ChantalHMB
Style_council
ChantalHMB

Plenty of water… also green tea! It is great for a number of health reasons, and also is great for weight loss, and boosting your metabolism.. (with no sugar ofcourse :) )

posted over 9 years ago

bergol93
Style_council
bergol93

A lot of these suggestions are really good. Honestly the best thing you can do for yourself, like others have said, is to DRINK LOTS OF WATER, work out regularly, and eat moderately.

I was in the BEST shape of my life last summer – I made sure to at least find a way to get some cardio in somehow each day. If i couldn’t make it to the gym, I’d take a jog, go for a bike ride, or take a hike – if you don’t live near mountains, a walk on the beach is SUPER good for you. The recommended amount of cardio is 20-30 minutes each day. If you get into it, try for 45 or more!

Here are some other things i live by to keep healthy and in shape:

Walk anywhere you can instead of driving. Walking is one of the best things you can do for your body – some studies say it is even healthier and has more benefits than running.

If you want to tone as well, go to a few yoga classes, or check up on some pilates moves you can do after your cardio. If you’re really ambitious, go for a whole workout after your cardio. I like to do abs and arms one day, and abs and legs the next. I’m an abs freak though; what you’re really supposed to do is concentrate on either your legs, abs, or arms for each workout, and alternate each time you excersize. Also, stretching is more important than you think! people always skip this part, but try to strech before and after every workout.

As far as eating healthier goes – eating more than three big meals a day IS the way to go, however make sure they are meals that are low in calories. In other words, eating three big meals PLUS snacks in between is not good. Eating 5 or 6 times but in lower quantities every time is what you want to strive for. The suggested meal plan is eating a couple hundred calories every 3 hours.

Carbs are OK! you NEED them for energy! However, you should absolutely tapor them off throughout the day; try to keep your carb intake to the earlier part of the day, and eat less of them towards the end of the day. If you need a snack at night, eat a piece of fruit instead of a piece of toast.

Wheat flour is an absolute must as a substitution for white flour. Food made with wheat flour is just as yummy as foods made with white flour and you will come to appreciate the taste as well as how it makes you feel. I will only eat wheat bread, wheat pasta, and all other foods made with wheat flour. Now when I eat white flour, I can feel it sitting in the bottom of my stomache and it makes me feel disgusting. Your body can not digest white flour, even if it is “enriched” with essentials that your body needs. Here’s the deal with white flour – it is processed and bleached, and all the elements in flour that benefit your body are taken out. They then try to “enrich” the flour by putting those elements back in, but unless they are in their natural form your body can’t process them and you don’t get the whole benefit. Make sure that all of your breads’ and pastas’ FIRST ingredient is whole wheat flour.

High fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, and sugar are your number one enemies. This means NO SODA, or anything else that contains these ingredients. I won’t go into why because you will never finish reading this post, but there are SO MANY natural sweetners that you can substitute into your diet. Cane Sugar, Maple, Honey, Agave, even beets and other natural foods have sweetners that are OK, and even have health benefits! Health food stores have really great “junk food” substitues that are MUCH better for you than an oreo cookie or an ice cream shake. Check them out. (PS you still have to eat sweets in moderation, this is simply a much healthier choice for your body’s occasional sweeth tooth attack that you dont have to feel too guilty about).

Green Tea. A God Send. drink LOTS of it! no sugar needed, green tea is delicious! If you find it too bitter, they have so many varieties – my personal favorite this week is Goji Berry Green tea – loaded with antioxidants and natural flavor. Seriously, stock yourself on Green Tea, you can reuse tea bags too. I like to drink half my mug of tea and then fill it back up to the top with more hot water so I get a mug and a half out of each tea bag. This saves money and uses the tea bag to its full potency’s potential. Why drink so much? It boosts your metabolism!! A must for anyone with a less than desireable metabolism or anyone trying to loose weight. It also fullfills your water intake for the day, which was my number one piece of advice in the beginning of this post.

My last piece of important advice is not to get too down on yourself if you slip up on your diet once in a while. Nobody’s perfect and we all want to give in to tempation on occasion. Allow yourself to do that, but then get right back into youre eating healthy mode (and maybe spend an extra ten minutes on the treadmill).

If you stick with this food and excersize plan, you can lose a few pounds without worry that they will come back, because this is a permanent change in your lifestyle and diet.

Good Luck, hope this helps :)

posted over 9 years ago

Mayia
Style_council
Mayia

I agree with JU_ and add:

1. water, water &more water (have always a water bottle with you! Water is boring but you can “spice it up” with some ice cubes and a slice of lemon)

2. excercise…….gym 2-3 times per week (That’s essential! Get used to working out 2 times a week for the rest of your life!)

3. eat healthy (It’s hard but do 80% healthy food/drinks and 20% indulgent stuff, that works well)

4. teeeeaaa! More important: No or less alcohol! Alcohol is high in calories and kills any diet. One cosmopolitan has a many calories as a whole meal. The stronger the drink, the fatter it makes you! Treat alcohol as 20% indulgent stuff and you’ll be fine.

posted over 9 years ago

BukuDoll
Style_council
BukuDoll

If you drink soda, stop. You can lose five pounds in a week if you cut it out of your diet. Add some colorful veggies into the mix and do cardio 6 out of 7 days a week for only 30 minutes, and you’ll see quick results!
I’m sure you’ll lose that last 10 in no time! You look like you have a pretty fast metabolism. :D Good luck!

posted over 9 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password