Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

I really want to get a summer job but as I’ve never had a job before, I don’t know where to look for one =( I don’t have any connections to people who can find me work so I’m left to my own devices. Where can I go job hunting? I live in San Francisco…

posted about 9 years ago
boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

aw man no advice? =(

posted about 9 years ago

cem90
Style_council
cem90

ok, I live in the DC area, but let’s start with this.
How old are you?
That’ll eliminate all the jobs you may not be illegible for.
Then find out what you can do and from there what you want to do.
I find that retail is the simplest job to get. Cafes and ice cream shops are good, too.
If you can get a higher paying job, that’s great too.
Anyways, let’s say you go to a store or eatery. Look presentable enough when you ask for a manager to give you an application.
Fill out the app right there if you can, then hand it back to a manager. If you don’t have time right then, bring it back the next day.
Mind you, most stores pay 8/hr. I haven’t worked at an eatery so I can’t tell you about that.
That’s the start. Anything else you’d like to know?

posted about 9 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

oh I’m 18 already so I can probably work most places besides bars. How do you know which stores are hiring though? You just ask someone who works there?

posted about 9 years ago

dorotron
Style_council
dorotron

try forever 21 :)

posted about 9 years ago

ladidadi
Style_council
ladidadi

look for new store openings.

Also, if you are solid academically, you can always try tutoring. I tutored for a number of years, though idk if you want to do it since you’re already 18 and many other jobs are open to you. I started tutoring at 15, and people have started earlier – at 14 or 13. So if anyone else is reading this board and they are younger, you can try tutoring with agencies like Kumon, where I used to work.

Also, try looking at the pennysaver (idk if they have that in the bay area) for the job listings and find administrative assistant or retail

posted about 9 years ago

cem90
Style_council
cem90

Go to your mall’s website and there should be a “jobs” link.
Or you can go to store websites and they should also have a link for a list of currently hiring stores.
Or you could pick a shopping center and walk around ready to apply, which is usually what you’re supposed to do anyways.

posted about 9 years ago

the_ed
Style_council
the_ed

Hmm…summer jobs, eh?

First off, where do you want to work?
Do you like picking up & folding clothes? Work at a clothing store.
Do you like to watch kids? Summer Camp is the place for you.
Do you like giving food to other people? Ice cream shops would love your help this season.
DO you like playing w/ machines/handing out stuffed animals in the sweltering heat? Get hired at an amusement park or local fair.

Then go to the places you like and ask “Are you currently accepting applications?”

posted about 9 years ago

kuriku
Style_council
kuriku

Are you in school? You can try your school career center.

Craigslist? (I found my current job there…)

And then just walk around! Near your house or downtown and see where they are “hiring”—then apply! Take a stack of resumes & a pen with you and fill out every application form you can!

Enter my giveaway!

posted about 9 years ago

miss_enticing
Style_council
miss_enticing

:( i need a jobbb tooo!

posted about 9 years ago

ajaangg
Style_council
ajaangg

:( i need a job SIGHhh i’ve been looking the past two months and i’m starting to lose hope!!! i’ve been hunting craigslist every single day.

posted about 9 years ago

TheDemoiselle
Style_council
TheDemoiselle

i dont think you’re the only one my love. try applying to stores no onw would apply too. maybe a craft store. that was my first job.

posted about 9 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

if it’s your first job, i would start with fast food. it’s awful, but you can move from there to work to get a better job, while still having money. Be as sweet, wide-eyed and professional as possible, and dress sharp. Not everyone may know fashion, so a pair of black slacks and a nice blouse are all you’ll need, otherwise you may wierd them out…which hurts to hear, but it took me forever to figure out :/

posted about 9 years ago

short_sweet
Style_council
short_sweet

call everystore, every resturunt,any possible place you’d like to work at
and ask if there hiring
go online apply everywhere even if there not hiring
and apply everywhere else even if there not hiring
becuase when they are they look at the applications they already have
i worked at office depot
hated it
i had an interveiw and american eagle and i probly would have got it if i wasnt late to the interveiw now after 5 months of me applying i have an interveiw at nine west

posted about 9 years ago

mllemilly
Style_council
mllemilly

I would say any local restaurants – waitress etc.
Or any local clothes shops – they don’t mind if you haven’t had previous experience and you can find ones that pay well :)

x

posted about 9 years ago

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

there’s sooo much in sf! definitely look through craigslist. what kind of work are you looking into? if you want to do retail, best way is to go into the store and talk to them, ask if they are hiring and even if at the moment they are not, take an application and send it in. When you go around to ask, make sure you are dressed well and present yourself well. Be ready with resume to hand out to possible employers.

also, why don’t you try tutoring?

posted about 9 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password