Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
DIVAnation
Style_council
DIVAnation

I was wondering how you guys do it on this site….i assume a lot of you are fairly young, but still look so damn good!! Besides a decent day job, where does the money come from to buy those fabulous pieces all the time?!

posted almost 10 years ago
imaJe
Style_council
imaJe

i have a full-time job, but i still am always on the hunt for a bargin deal! my price range is usually $10-40 on an item of clothing. forever 21 is my all-time favorite store, good deals for everything! if you have a marshalls, tjmaxx or ross around you, i suggest shopping there. although it usually takes time to go through the store, you may find some awesome deals!

i actually want to start a YouTube channel for fashion. i wanted to do a piece on how to find chic outfits for a bargain price.. we’ll see. hope this helps ;)

New_user 7686 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 7686 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I’d say my biggest thing right now is bargain hunting. Always google promo codes before buying online. Check out thrift stores and goodwill more often than the normal mall. Find out when your favorite stores are having sales and RAID! Look in magazines for deal sections or looks-for-less.

This all seems pretty obvious, but I hope it was at least a little helpful!

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

I’m a crazy bargain hunter! I’m a student and don’t have a job. I always check the sales racks, there’s always bound to be good stuff there if you look often enough. I also like going to factory outlets and warehouse sales, things there are way cheaper than the original price, and even if some items are a bit faulty a lot of things can be easily fixed, eg if it’s just a rip or a stain.
Also, a lot of my clothes are second hand and thrifted. I find nice things quite often, it’s just about looking through the racks thoroughly and going as regularly as you can :)

mariezee
Style_council
mariezee

I’m a bargain hunter as well! And I love going to second-hand stores, you can find so many great clothes there and even those stores have 50% off sales throughout the year. I have a full-time job but I also have a lot of bills to pay so I only allow myself a certain amount of money to spend on clothing or I save up until I can buy something fabulous. Hope this helps!

ClothesHorse
Style_icon
ClothesHorse

I just graduated from college in May and I afforded my wardrobe with my part-time, minimum wage paying job by scrimping on everything else and bargain hunting. I love secondhand, tiny vintage stores, and rarely shopped outside of the sale section in a chain store.

RazzleDazzleMe
Style_council
RazzleDazzleMe

I stick to the sales rack and also it helps to have friends that like to share and trade clothes. I love bargain hunting. Nothing better than finding a good deal.

kirstielove
Style_council
kirstielove

Thrifting! Theres this fabulous thrift store down the street from my school that has 50 cent tuesday and fridays and Im there every week. Besides that stick to sales racks, by things off season. Also organize a dorm wide clothing swap that way you can get some new clothes and get rid of ones you dont wear. It sucks not having a job in college but you have to make it work.

miss_scientist
Style_council
miss_scientist

i’m a college student as well. i only buy things that are in my price range. i actually don’t have a job but i make some spending money by participating in research studies on campus. i also only try to buy things i’m absolutely in love with, and try to be creative with all the clothes i already have.

kelllosaurus
Style_council
kelllosaurus

I’m in college and a part-time waitress so money is sort of tight. Instead of making a price range I save up money in order to buy one, high quality piece instead of blowing my money at f21 on stuff that will fall apart in one wash. It usually means I can buy a few things every few months but I don’t mind.

breelee12
Style_council
breelee12

I’m in the same boat you are in. What i do is thrift my butt off. I love looking for cute cheap peices. Plus i find some awsome unique stuff when thrifting.

DIVAnation
Style_council
DIVAnation

these are all so helpful! You guys don’t understand i thought i was soooo alone on this one! lol guess im not… but keep the responses coming!

flattery
Style_icon
flattery

I go to university and I work part-time at a grocery store in the Deli! haha, it’s actually not bad of a job. I work 2 times a week and usually get 250 dollar checks. I save my money up and usually buy moderately priced clothing such as from Urban Behavior, like 50 dollars for a dress…but occasionally I save my money for a bigger purchase. :) I also carpool to school so I don’t always have to spend money on gas.

briclark
Style_council
briclark

local thrift stores are the best way to go. some people are better at thrift shopping than others, but it gets easier the more you do it. and walmart actually has fairly cute and cheap clothes. surprisingly. the only places i shop. occasionally target.

EvaCecilia
Style_council
EvaCecilia

The only way that I make money is from babysitting and an occasional allowance. To deal with that, I don’t go buying a bunch of expensive stuff that I may not wear next season. I love going to Goodwill and other second hand shops, and I never feel bad about spending $20 there because I get a huge amount of stuff for that much. Also, when you don’t pay very much for things, it’s easier to spray paint them and cut them and re-sew them and glue sequins and glitter on them, because you aren’t worried about ruining anything. I DIY pretty much everything, and then it’s even more fun because when people compliment you, you can say “Oh thank you, I made it!” and then you watch their faces. Hehe. Also, forever 21 is great, Gap is semi expensive, but watch for the sales, because I got my favorite sweater in the world from there, half off.

Oh goodness, I rambled, but I hope this helps!

xox

NewLook24
Style_council
NewLook24

I pay my way through school and I work at Macy’s part time and I get a 20% discount, (Official Shopping Addict) I only buy clearance items and I rarely buy things that are over twenty dollars. Macy’s can be surprising with discounts: today I got one pink and one purple drape cardigan for $4 each with discount. But I’ am officially trying to cut myself off now from shopping.

ps. this is not me advertising for Macy’s lol

cachou
Style_council
cachou

Charity shops can reveal treasures

SarahJaneR
Style_council
SarahJaneR

I currently have no job and could only buy new clothing because of financial aid that was left over after my tuition and books were paid. Even then, I have bills I help pay and a daughter to raise so that doesn’t leave a huge budget, I would say the best places to shop are thrift stores, consignment shops, garage sales, and always check out store websites for alerts on sales and coupons. Also, even going to places like Target, Walmart, or Kmart and finding simple pieces that can transcend and look more expensive is great, I have a blazer i got at Kmart for $10 and everyone compliments me on it. You just have to put old beliefs behind, such as “Kmart is for trailer trash”, “Only hobos wear things from Walmart” and those types of beliefs aside and just give it a try. Also, just an FYI, Norma Kamali has an online clothing line for Walmart, and her stuff is great. I’ve gotten lots of compliments on her stuff. I hope I helped.

whydoumockme
Style_council
whydoumockme

I have no job and am attending college….what ever cash I get is from my parents.

Recently I’ve been:

1. Raiding my family’s closet. (parents and siblings have all sorts of stuff they don’t wear, especially the older ones, that could be considered vintage.)

2. Repurposing my stuff. I always had a habit of cleaning out my closet and throwing away stuff I don’t wear
Then I’ll hit up my parents for cash to buy new stuff
After coming on this website and seeing all the vintage and thrifted stuff I realized you don’t need new stuff to be chic

And that’s how I survive

REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password