Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
whatswithamy
Style_icon
whatswithamy

Hahahaha! good topic! It’s already brought a giggle and smile to my face. I just started thinking of all these presents I’ve received over the years, and I had to pretend to like it so there’d be no hurt feelings.

An example of a bad present was this dolphin statue my grandpa got me. First of all, it’s really tacky, second of all I don’t have any symbolism with dolphins, and it’s glass, and it’s too big… and it’s just not anything anyone would ever buy me… I felt bad, but I giggled when I got it. I love my grandpa though.. really I do!

posted about 10 years ago
cursed_kross
Style_council
cursed_kross

My mom once got me a hand held pin ball game. She noticed I liked my friend’s game boy and thought it was somehow the same thing. It was so funny I couldn’t help but laugh. But my family/friends learned long ago no matter what you get me, include the receipt lol

@ whatswithamy – how big was it?

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

Hmm, I feel bad calling any gifts bad since people know I’m difficult to shop for and I do believe it’s the thought that counts.

But my friends and I had a pollyanna one year, and my gift from the girl who had me was a beanie babie I gave to her at a fair at my school (because I felt bad that she didn’t win anything and I won two of the same thing). She clearly didn’t put much thought into that gift.

kkkeiOK
Style_council
kkkeiOK

@ oneshoetwo: I agree. Sometimes people buy presents for other people based on what THEY like, and completely miss the point of whose taste it’s supposed to cater to. I can’t count the number of pink presents I’ve opened. I also hate people giving books to me, because they are invariably books THEY like. I like books, but I don’t like ALL books. Not everybody is going to be raving mad about the inner workings of the philosophical cosmos, figuring out how to ‘self-help your way to a slimmer body’, or delving into the mind of Barack Obama.

It’s like buying clothes for other people – you will 99% of the the time follow your own taste. Unless you have impeccable taste, or are pretty sure you’re familiar engh to know their taste – don’t try. (My grandma buys me these HIDEOUS tee-shirts. I love her to death, and they are really good quality – but by god are they UGLY.)

And also while it’s the thought that counts, and sometimes it’s just to be polite, it’s important to use a little common sense to think what the other person is going to do with it once they get it. An ornamental soap collection is nice, but what am I supposed to do with it? Or a rug with a humongous tiger printed on it. Or 5 identical feline statues. Or a miniature USB plug plastic Christmas tree. Cute. But I don’t know what to do with them – they just end up taking up room, collecting dust, and I’m left with no choice but to throw/give them away.

RazzleDazzleMe
Style_council
RazzleDazzleMe

Last year, I graduated and some of my gifts were horrible. Some gave me a lot of body lotion kits but I’m allergic to that stuff. :(

Also I hate getting stuff animals. I’m not 6 and I don’t really want a giant dust ball.

Also some people gave me jewelry, some was my taste but other stuff I would never wear. It is a matter of taste and I’m not a big fan of most jewelry.

But all time worse present was when my aunt forgot my X-mas present and gave me the one her daughter received from my grandparents. That was a horrible holiday.

aranell
Style_icon
aranell

My mum bought me a pink fluffy steering wheel cover with a pink lame thong attatched. I was 17 and didn’t learn to drive until 8 years later, and the thong would probably have given me thrush! hehe! I sold it on ebay though and made £20 so it ended well :)

whatswithamy
Style_icon
whatswithamy

@cursed_kross it was bigger than an oscar or a BIG trophy!!

Another bad gift was a cooking book. I never cook, and have no desire!! Everyone who knows me knows how much I detest cooking, I couldn’t believe it hahaha. So I gave it to my mom!

frenchieee
Style_council
frenchieee

I got striped pink PJs last Christmas. With fruits on them. I tried them on. I looked like one of the Banana in Pajamas.

whitelightwhiteheat
Style_council
whitelightwh...

every year for christmas, my grandparents get me and all three of my sisters The Holy Bible, and occasionally a Bible translator, stories from The Bible, etc., etc.

The thing is, my whole family is Atheist! they just try so hard to get us to convert, It’s actually pretty upsetting.. I guess if you believe in something enough, it’s hard to sit by and know that others don’t believe it.

I don’t know, but the only thing i give people is gift cards to Border’s, Barnes & Noble, and the used bookshop I work at. Everyone can work with that!

shadowplay_
Style_council
shadowplay_

^ aranell, I can’t believe someone bought that pink steering wheel cover + thong for twenty pounds… :P

Um, one of… actually… all of my worst gifts have been from my ex-boyfriend… for my birthday one year he gave me a box of coffee and liqueur-flavoured chocolates. I don’t like coffee or alcohol, and I was on a chocolate ban at the time. For one of our anniversaries he gave me a giant bullclip. Yeah, that was the exact same one.

lolitsvictoria
Style_council
lolitsvictoria

I think one of my worst gifts was like this black velvet shirt with a sparkly, bedazzled butterfly that was like 5 times too small from my aunt/uncle. o. Obviously a re-gift.

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

My mum got me these slipper socks last christmas, knowing that I don’t wear any kinds of slippers and like to be barefoot whenever possible. The even worse part is that there was glittery material weaved into the other material and the one time I did wear them they itched my feet so much I ended up with a rash.

AmeliaJackson29
Style_council
AmeliaJackson29

I can’t think of anything much I’ve been given, but one year my father really wanted a waffle maker and he made a real point of telling everyone. But to make absolute sure he got it, he very nearly bought one for my mother even though she had already bought one for him. I had to actually TELL him that mum had bought it, otherwise e would have got it!

cherrybitch
Style_council
cherrybitch

Once my grandfather gave me an umbrella and a bar of soap for my birthday. D:

GoXtina
Style_council
GoXtina

My parents friend whom I don’t really like gave me an ugly green tank top that is 3X too large for me. He said I was tall so he thought a size small will be too small and too short on me. Let’s just say he is just giving me gifts so that I will do something for him in the future.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password