Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
ragilmega
Style_council
ragilmega

I just got an assistant job in a law firm and I’m not too sure what to wear on the first day.

For sure, it’s gotta be tailored and office style.. but what about colors? Do I need to stick with white, black or grey?

Do I need to wear a suit?

And if I decide to wear a skirt, is pantyhose a MUST?

posted about 9 years ago
chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

I would keep a neutral backdrop, with a softer color like a nice pastel blue, yellow, or pink, or a deeper color. I always think a deep maroon with grey looks wonderfully sharp. Yes, you should wear a suit, but a skirt suit is totally acceptable, and pantyhose aren’t a must, but a sheer hose would look more professional.

Of course, you can never really go wrong with a black pencil skirt, pumps, and a white blouse, perhaps with a blazer over top that you can drape over your chair gracefully as you sit at your desk for the day.

But always remember, its better to be over dressed than under dressed. If you find that everyone around you is just a tad more casual, don’t be scared to loosen up on day two, but feel confident knowing you looked amazing on day one. :D

posted about 9 years ago

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

agree with chicchica, stick to neutral colors. Especially b/c this is a law firm you want to dress professionally. Make sure your skirt is at least knee length or longer. I don’t think you necessarily have to wear a suit (though what can i say, i’ve never worked in a law firm) but a nice crisp and ironed dress shirt with pants or pencil skirt would be a must. You can gauge how others dress on the first day and switch it up as you see fit from there on

posted about 9 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

I don’t think you need to stick with black, white, and gray. As long as its professional^^ Also pantyhose is not a must, just remember to shave :P

posted about 9 years ago

melavond
Style_council
melavond

my first day on the job when i was a Personal Assistant was a gray pencil skirt, gray suit jacket, with a simple bright teal top, and simple blue pumps. (Pantyhose is definitely not a must.) I than came to find out that wearing jeans to this particular office was highly acceptable, and even dare i say some girls wore sweats. basically dressing up for that first day creates a very good impression on the kind of person that you are, you than can get a feel for how casual you can be. now the first day of my new job was 6 inch heels, a black mini skirt, and a shirt with the name of a vodka brand. so it alllllll depends.

posted about 9 years ago

sweetoblivion
Style_council
sweetoblivion

no need for the pantyhose, but definitely stick with a black or grey suit. you could even skip the jacket and just wear a white button up and a high waisted pencil skirt (that goes past the knees of course).

posted about 9 years ago

ragilmega
Style_council
ragilmega

awesome! thanks, ladies.. :)

any other recommendation welcome..

posted about 9 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

If there ever was a job where people wore suits every day, it’s law firms, so I would wear a suit if you have one or create a suit-like look with blazer and button-down shirt with a skirt or nice pants. I would stick to black/grey/navy for the suit pieces themselves, but I think you’d be fine with a colored button-down in a solid color or something simple like pinstripes. Don’t do neon yellow or anything :-P but something like pastel pink, baby blue, burgundy, or teal could look very sharp.

Don’t go overboard on accessories. Not too much, and nothing too big or attention-grabbing. A few subtle pieces are best.

Honestly, I would say suck it up and wear the hoes )-: I hate wearing them, too, but you won’t know until you get there if people in your office frown on bare legs. It varies from region to region and office to office. Better safe than sorry for the first day.

Keep shoes close-toed and of a practical heel-height. You have no idea how much walking/standing you’ll do the first day, and you don’t want to come off as too sexy.

I agree with chicchita_bonita that it’s better to be overdressed than underdressed on your first day. Don’t be afraid of looking “too professional” and when in doubt choose the more conservative option. You can always tone it down later, but it’s hard to undo first impressions if you come off too casual at first.

posted about 9 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

I agree with what everyone has said. It’s better to stick with neutral colours and be overdressed on the first day- skirt, suit jacket, shirt/blouse, stockings… in the first few days you can see what everyone else is wearing and then use that to decide what is appropriate for yourself to wear.

posted about 9 years ago

ragilmega
Style_council
ragilmega

Thanks ladies.

I’m thinking about wearing my black suit with short sleeve blouse tomorrow because I heard it’d be cold.

But I’ve also bought a hose, just in case I change my mind.

What do you think about black blazer and gray skirt?

posted about 9 years ago

wearenotlikeeveryone
Style_council
wearenotlike...

Ooh! I’m currently a law intern – extremely acceptable pieces include plenty of white oxford shirts (any length of sleeve; unless you have any court proceedings to attend – then stick to long-sleeves), black/navy/grey slacks or skirts, and matching tailored jackets. Hose is unnecessary unless you prefer not to shave/wax/epilate. When it comes to skirt length, anything that’s below your hand when you extend it fully on your side is acceptable.

Cardigans in lieu of blazers are fine, as long as they’re not with raw edges, and are in solid colours or more conservative prints (no palm trees, dogs, cats, etc.).

For shoes, as MurasakiNeko said, stick to close-toed – heel height doesn’t matter as long as you can bear the particular shoe (I’ve died in certain pairs of flats, but I have some pairs of heels which I could stand in for hours and not feel excruciating pain).

YES to the black blazer and grey skirt! <3

posted about 9 years ago

FabricatedFashion
Style_council
FabricatedFa...

Blue is always an good choice in my book. Try to find skirts with design texture to them if you want to look both Fashionable and Professional. Try adding pops of color with your shoes to shake things up.

posted about 9 years ago

ragilmega
Style_council
ragilmega

thanks for your help, ladies <3>d say it was very appropriate as it was a cold and wet day, also I went touring the offices that day and met lots of lawyers.

thanks lovesss

posted about 9 years ago

SilviaTirado
Style_council
SilviaTirado

This ensemble will make you stand out!

http://balharbourshops.com/page-3-3.html

posted over 8 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password