SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
IKillChildren
Style_council
IKillChildren

Are there any *veg*etari*ans*?
How long have you been a vegeterian/vegan?
What does your family think about you being a vegeterian/vegan?

I’m vegan myself, been it for 3 months now and my family’s fine with it.

posted over 9 years ago
1 2
snow
Style_council
snow

I don’t eat dairy or animal products at all, but I don’t call myself vegan as I don’t live a vegan lifestyle—I wear leather and wool, for example.

posted over 9 years ago

Lexi0584
Style_council
Lexi0584

I’ve been a vegetarian for about 1 1/2 years. Lately I’ve been dabbling in veganism and raw food veganism when I can, but I’m not strict with it. I’ve found some really delicious raw food recipes though!

My family thought I was crazy at first but lately they’ve started to come around. My younger brother is a chef, so he’s always excited to help me come up with new recipes.

posted over 9 years ago

CheyenneAmber
Style_council
CheyenneAmber

I’ve been a straight vegan for only about three months.

I had recently become lactose intolerant, and before that I was just a pescetarian. So giving up all animal products wasn’t a hard choice at all.

I never really liked eggs, yogurt or milk…cheese was the only hard thing for me to remember.

My family supports it, but often forgets. I live in a pretty laidback household, my mom is gluten free and we’ve always been organic only. My father is a chef and he eats everything. He doesn’t impose it on me though.

I am against animal products in clothing as well, always have been. It’s actually what sparked my interest in giving up animal food products.

Now I don’t feel like a hypocrite.

posted over 9 years ago

Opal
Style_council
Opal

It’s great to see so many vegetarians and vegans!

I guess I’m what you’d call a flexitarian. (yes, it’s a real word, I looked it up, haha)
And what that means is that I’m mostly a vegetarian, but on the rare occasion I will eat meat. the last time I ate meat was a month ago when I had crab legs at a fancy steak place for my company’s holiday party.
I mainly stay off meat because of health reasons. I try to fill the void with beans, veggies, fruit, and whole grains instead. The only thing I have a hard time with is cheese, cause I love it, but I know it’s not good for me.

posted over 9 years ago

tygerlileeful
Style_council
tygerlileeful

I’ve been vegetarian for about 2 and a half years now. My family’s okay with it for the most part, although there is the occasional complaint about my needing to eat more of a side dish in order to replace the main dish, etc. Although I’m still in high school and still live with my parents, I’ve been making my own meals for years, and making the transition to making more pasta and veg-based dishes was painless; I’ve always been more of a veghead since I was a kid.

I’ve gotten my friends and family hooked on my enchiladas (I use soy substitute rather than ground beef or chicken; they couldn’t even tell a difference before I told them the “secret” ingredient!). What made the transition easiest for everyone in my family was my getting a part-time job and my license; I can just drive to the store and get myself the different things I need in order to get enough protein, yet still stick to my diet choices.

posted over 9 years ago

Speedbump
Style_icon
Speedbump

I’ve been vegetarian for about 7 years, and have never looked back! My family really hated it and thought I was crazy and worried that I was going to starve, but they accepted it eventually. It’s a lot easier for me now that I don’t live with them and live in a city that is very veggie-friendly, as opposed to where I used to be.

I’ve tried going vegan before, but realized that I love cheese and desserts too much. Other than that, I’m quite happy with my choice. Being vegetarian actually opened up my (rather picky) palate and I now eat so many more different kinds of food than I used to!

posted over 9 years ago

minimalistpanda
Style_council
minimalistpanda

i’ve been a vegetarian for a total of 3 months. haha. that’s nothing compared to all of you people here. /:
but it’s mostly because my family doesn’t support my choice of eating habits
and they fear that i’m not eating enough/i’m going to DIE because of my lack of meat.

but it’s mostly a culture difference?
because my mother thinks that if you’re fat = you’re healthy, full, etc.
and she gets angry with me if i dont eat rice with whatever i’m eating
even if it’s just an omlette
and in my family’s culture (filipino)
we have a lot of dishes that are very high in salt content
and are REALLY unhealthy. /:

there’s even a dish made with pork’s blood.
so disgusting.
i never knew what it was until recently.
because my parents, they would nickname it “chocolate meat” to persuade
me to eat it when i was little (because it was a dark brown color), or they would call it by it’s filipino name not in english
and all i understand is english.

it really bothers me. /:
i wish my parents could see where i was coming from
but i can’t change the way they were raised

for the past couple months
i’ve been avoiding meat but
that doesn’t mean i’ve been eating healthier
my daily intake is usually
oatmeal & blueberries in the morning, pb&j & a banana at lunch & then whatever snacks i can find around my house for dinner.

i lost my train of thought?
i don’t remember half of what i typed up there^
well. whoever read this thanks for reading?

main point is:
i want to become a vegetarian for as long as i can
a HEALTHY one. not a i’m-going-to-survive-off-junkfood one.
but i don’t have the support from my family that i need
and i only know one other person who is a vegetarian
but she barely eats.
& i have a large appetite. /:
her food intake for a day consists of
skipping breakfeast, salad at lunch, hot cheetos as snack, and poptarts as diner.

not that healthy. /:

haha this is longer than i thought it would be O_o

posted over 9 years ago

Eintagsmensch
Style_council
Eintagsmensch

Vegetarian for now 1 1/2 years. I never ate much meat so I dont miss it at all. I have to say I forgot my reason to be vegetarian it was more like just for fun, but I cant imagine ever eating meat again. My family doesnt really support me but thats alright.

posted over 9 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

parcheddreams – I’m sorry, that mustn’t be very encouraging for you :(

You’re on the right track with your breakfast and lunch… you don’t need a ton of substitutions to stay healthy! I prefer whole grain pasta with veggies rather than fake chicken nuggets. In fact, I’m thinking I might put a pot of water on the stove so I can make some pasta right now… yes, it’s 11:30pm. Ha, I’m strange.

Fruits+veggies+whole grains=staples. I don’t even have tofu all the time… which is basically one of the “vegetarian necessities,” and it’s awesome when cooked well, but I don’t go grocery shopping too often.

Honestly, I eat a ton of junk food (as I stuff my face with a vegan peanut butter brownie), but I try to at least kind of balance it. And another truth – I don’t eat salad frequently. Maybe I’m not good at making them, but it’s just such a disappointment when you go to restaurants and get salads with limp veggies.

posted over 9 years ago

simran1486
Style_council
simran1486

vegetarian 11.5 years

posted over 9 years ago
1 2
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password