Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

I do play dress up with him…but i’m scared to try and dress him for everyday, and I feel like I’d be taking away his individuality and sorta invading his space-ish i guess….he says he likes the things i put together for him though…what do I do?

posted over 9 years ago
MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I think when he asks you for advice every once and a while, like “What do you think I should wear to this (insert event he has no idea how to dress for)?” is perfectly fine, but picking out entire outfits for him on a regular basis seems a little mom-ish— and may actually ultimately make him lazier/more useless about styling things himself.

It’s kind of like the whole Give a man/Teach a man to fish saying. While you could just pick out clothes, it might be better to teach him a little about how to put together the type of outfits he likes. If he likes the style you’ve thought up for him, tell him where you got your ideas and some strategies he can use to think about how to put together an outfit. Then leave him to try his own hand at it. (And give him a break if it takes him a little while to get it :-P).

Be logical and formulaic about it if you can; talk in terms of colors, patterns, and textures. I think a lot of less fashion-inclined guys would be thrown through a loop by terms like “inspiration” or “focal point of the outfit.” That’s what I would do if I were coaching my bf in such things. But other than that, it’s really no different than giving a style-naive girl friend advice on styling.

posted over 9 years ago

SoleilRadieux
Style_council
SoleilRadieux

Murasaki’s right about the whole thing, teach your boyfriend instead of doing it for him. :)
It’s fine to help him when he asks every now & again, but doing it for him all the time would probably make him lazier & make your relationship into more of a mother-son thing.

If he likes the outfits you’ve put together for him before, maybe take pictures of him in them or something & write a list of the pieces that make up the outfit for his future reference. :)

posted over 9 years ago

talkanatalka
Style_council
talkanatalka

i would also add in to take this opportunity to buy him a few nice shirts, etc for upcoming birthdays/whatever – if it’s something he needs but will also add to his wardrobe, it’s a good way to mix new pieces in!

posted over 9 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

I’ll try these ^ thank you :)

posted over 9 years ago

Speedbump
Style_icon
Speedbump

I agree with what those above me have said. Definitely teach him what looks good and what doesn’t (cuts, color combos, etc.). Help him shop and show him what to look for. That way, he will look roughly the way you want him to without you needing to be there.

I’m sure he’ll appreciate it in the long run, since from my experience, guys often know that their wardrobe isn’t great, but they don’t know how to change it.

posted over 9 years ago

franloiacono
Style_council
franloiacono

Since I’m a boy this topic was a bit funny lol
But I’ve seen those things more than once…and it was always hard for me to understand…I mean that personally I couldn’t think to tell to my girlfriend how to dress…and I wouldn’t be told how to dress lol I think it’s fine giving advices.

Beside this I think that’s kind of different, since your bf is happy with your advices, I think you should try helping him developping his personal style and tastes. If he has any ideas about what he likes and try to find a way to reach for it :)

posted over 9 years ago

the_ed
Style_council
the_ed

While I do like playing dress up, I take a very hands-off approach @ it w/ my bf because I don’t wanna be anybody’s mom. He has his style and I have mine, so I limit it to buying him stuff I think he’ll look good in and that he can use (He always needs some clothing or another.) I did do a search for him once on a coat he wanted and we’re both very pleased with the results. We both tell each other what we like/don’t like about the other’s clothes, since we’re both pretty persnickety and honest people. ;p (He just despises a coat of mine that I got as an x-mas gift and I poke fun at the holes in his jeans and steal his hats from him. And yes, we do still love each other. Pretty amazing, eh?)

But for your bf, who seems a little confused in the style dept, introduce him to a brand or store w/ man clothes that you think are cool and then let him pick out a number of items. It seems like he has an idea of what he likes, but is a little puzzled about how to put what he likes together in a way that makes sense. Use your expertise to teach him the possible combinations, answer any questions he may have and let him try to make up outfits of his own. And, if he wants to, let him create an outfit for you in your wardrobe. You’re gonna love it because it’s something that he did for you, and he’ll like it because he gets to be in control of his style (with your clothes). Worse case scenario, you can both laugh about it later. ;)

posted over 9 years ago

redrouged
Style_council
redrouged

I usually just buy them clothes if I find them lacking in taste :P

posted over 9 years ago

maryyasmine
Style_council
maryyasmine

Definitely YES ! because most of the times, boys lack of interest/taste concerning their sartorial choices. I dress my guy friend because I would hate to have someone who’s not dressed well next to me (psycho, much ? xD)

posted over 9 years ago

lquery83
Style_council
lquery83

hehehe…I asked my boyfriend the other day if he thought I was bossy, after I’d told him to wear a certain blazer. He didn’t say anything…hehehe

posted over 9 years ago

nancywanted
Style_council
nancywanted

If he lets you go for it! My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 3 years and he still won’t let go of his stupid Rainbows. It’s the Orange County in him.

posted over 9 years ago

fashionbelate
Style_council
fashionbelate

Some boys actually like being told what goes & what doesn’t. My boyfriend of 2 years doesn’t mind me giving advice every so often, but I let him dress how he likes – afterall, his style reflects his character.

posted over 9 years ago

SONIAP
Style_council
SONIAP

sure its ok , when you go for shopping trips together , then you can advise what looks nice or not

I mean depends on his taste – men can be pretty sloppy – Not all

Suggest clothes , and then ask his opinion about your clothing as well , so he doesnt feel bossed about .

One outfit men always look good in is – smart long shorts , and a cool tshirt and cardingan.

posted over 9 years ago

MerryThePrankster
Style_council
MerryThePran...

If he’s into his clothes, then of course allow him some wiggle room.

If he doesn’t care, and you like dressing him up, and he likes being dressed up, then totally go for it. If you dress him in a way that both of you like, he gets to keep his identity whilst you have a stylish boyfriend, which is a bit of a win-win.

posted over 9 years ago

SeekingStyle
Style_council
SeekingStyle

As long as he doesn’t seem offended or annoyed with it, I don’t see the problem. I think literally picking out outfits is a bit much, but there’s nothing wrong with asking him to wear or buy certain things as long as he likes it and is comfortable wearing it.

posted over 9 years ago

GlammcouturE
Style_council
GlammcouturE

if he likes you to do it for him, and you enjoy doing it for him, why not?? I’m sure he will let you know if it bothers him! You guys can have fun doing stuff like that together :)

posted over 9 years ago

SilviaTirado
Style_council
SilviaTirado

Absolutely. Sometimes a man can use a woman’s touch

posted over 8 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password