Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
woohoo
Style_council
woohoo

Alright,
So I have an issue. I am a pack rat :(
I cant get myself to throw away anything and if I ever do, I always end up regretting.
“I want to wear that sweater!”
How often do you throw away clothes?
What do you throw away?

Mer.

Help me

posted over 10 years ago
poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

make several piles.

- things you still wear
- things that you’ve not worn for at least a year… and if you haven’t, why not? if something doesn’t fit you or is unflattering then DON’T keep it. if it’s boring, consider jazzing it up with something.
- things that are torn/ stained.

Throw away ANYTHING torn and stained. The rest of the clothes you don’t want can be categorised as follows (this is just an example of how I do it)

- clothes that my mom/one of my sisters/ friends might want.
- clothes that are designer/ a “good” brand name, and can be sold on eBay for a fair amount.
- Anything else, to the charity shop.

posted over 10 years ago

woohoo
Style_council
woohoo

Woot Woot!
This is great :)
Thank you <3

posted over 10 years ago

lifeinsideamusicbox
Style_council
lifeinsideam...

ooh that is good.

also, if you come across something that you don’t wear, know you won’t wear but just can’t reconcile parting with – basically if it has sentimental value – don’t let the fact that you can’t throw/give it away clutter up your closet.

Have a small box or bag and put these things in it, then put the box in the attic or something, really any storage method that will let you keep the memory and nostalgia without having something in your closet that you’ll never wear.

posted over 10 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

^^ oh i forgot about that one! yes, good plan…

posted over 10 years ago

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

Also, I take all my old clothes to Buffalo Exchange/Crossroads; getting a few bucks out of stuff I never wear is better than nothing. Anything that they don’t buy, I usually donate to charities.

posted over 10 years ago

Tashhh
Style_council
Tashhh

I don’t really have much else to add but regarding what bitchtits said, if the article of clothing only has a tiny, sewable tear or fixable stain, don’t throw it out. There’s no use in getting rid of stuff if you can fix the problem with bleach or a bit of thread.

posted over 10 years ago

woohoo
Style_council
woohoo

AWw these are such good advice <3
Thank you very much :]

posted over 10 years ago

poorandweird
Style_council
poorandweird

I sell on most things, but cheaper clothes that i KNOW people will not buy on eBay when they can buy new for cheaper will go to charity shops or be cut up and used for something else.

posted over 10 years ago

InstantVintage
Style_council
InstantVintage

I usually swap stuff or give it to my friends when I have something perfectly usable that I’ve grown tired of.

As for how often, I usually wait until I get tired of looking at certain things or I run out of hangers. I toss the stuff I haven’t worn or that don’t fit as well as I think they should.

posted over 10 years ago

lynnisms
Style_council
lynnisms

Ah! I should have read this this morning when I was attempting to clean out the closet.
I just.. put them in two piles: to hang back in the closet, and to give to Red Cross. One was very much smaller than the other.
I’ll be sure to keep these tips in mind for the second attempt tomorrow! thanks!

posted over 10 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I clear out about 3 times a year. I give as much as I can to my friends and family so then that way if I changed my mind about something and really wanted to wear it again all I have to do is borrow it from them.
The rest goes to charity shops, though I will start selling some stuff online at some point when I’ve figured out how to use ebay properly and have signed up on paypal because I have plenty of cothes that either are still new with tags or have only been worn once or twice.

posted over 10 years ago

actualizeEpiphanies
Style_council
actualizeEpi...

i’m a thrift-aholic. my hauls can clutter a closet quickly, so my rule of thumb is one in one out. with good clothing found on the cheap, it’s not so terrible to just wear an item for a few months before i send it on its way—usually back to a chartity organization. the best ones stick around—and the so-so finds drift in and out.

posted over 9 years ago

MerryThePrankster
Style_council
MerryThePran...

I do basically the same as actualizeEpiphanies. I have a ton of clothing in my possession at any given time, and sometimes its just necessary to get rid of some of it. If I’ve never worn it, but have owned it for a few months, I generally donate it back to wherever I bought it, as there’s no point in hiding away something someone else might love. If I decide that something is replaceable, I replace it with something that isn’t.

Also, some things have been difficult but necessary to replace (I used to collect plaid micro minis. They were tacky and far too short, but I loved them to pieces- some of them literally.)- don’t be too afraid to get rid of something in order to class up your look or come closer to your desired wardrobe. Good-byes are hard, but they are also often good things.

posted over 9 years ago

VivaciousVee
Style_council
VivaciousVee

I don’t really throw away clothes. I usually give em away when i feel like i haven’t worn em in a while. I totally hate that feeling too when a while later you miss something you’ve given away. so i guess i would say my rule of thumb is to ask yourself a few questions.
1) why am i keeping this item?
2) When is the last time i wore this?
I like to look at the reasons why i’m keeping something. Like if its something I’ll fit into once i lose weight or if i’ve been waiting for the perfect shoe to go with it. It just depends.

posted over 9 years ago

SeekingStyle
Style_council
SeekingStyle

If you have things you still like but your tastes have grown, you can also try a DIY and update it.

posted over 9 years ago

EmmaLucey
Style_council
EmmaLucey

i have the same problem although i recently saw a picture of a fellow blogger and vintage lovers wardrobe. It was basically an entire room with racks installed and filled with wire hangers and mountains of vintage treasure! It made my wardrobe look small and neat (and i have A LOT of clothes)
I was very jealous of everything she had but not so jealous of the mess.
Since then i live by the rule – if there’s room (in your warbrobe/ shelves etc) keep it =)
If i have to throw things out i always keep vintage items, very unique items or items that cost me some savings when purchased. ALWAYS KEEP HEELS!
For the past year i’ve been collecting and selling vintage items and have found more and more that trends change quickly however many many old/vintage trends are repeated every year and you can almost always find a vintage piece that fits with a current trend.

posted over 9 years ago

kathleenphails
Style_council
kathleenphails

You could also make your piles, wait a day or two to think it over, then donate/toss what you want.

posted over 9 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password