Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
allybell
Style_council
allybell

Still getting used to the whole being allergic to gluten.

Anyone else gluten free and got some good recipes/advice?

x

posted about 10 years ago
bauss
Style_council
bauss

Aww, I’m sorry! Gluten shows up in lots of foods too. ):

I’m going to stalk this thread since I may consider removing gluten from my diet. I read a book on the horrors of celiac disease. ):

BirdsandBees
Style_council
BirdsandBees

I have family who must revolve their lives around their allergies to gluten. It seems so tough!

Is it hard staying healthy without a lot of foods w/ gluten?

bauss
Style_council
bauss

It does seem tough… one of my friends has resolved to live her life gluten free and she often can’t eat with me and other friends.

BirdsandBees
Style_council
BirdsandBees

I would feel left out. Like going out to eat and stuff. That would suck. But I do think some places are aware of that and have created at least a few entrees for non-glutes.

BirdsandBees
Style_council
BirdsandBees

I would feel left out. Like going out to eat and stuff. That would suck. But I do think some places are aware of that and have created at least a few entrees for non-glutes.

anita_spaeth
Style_council
anita_spaeth

yay gluten free. im not gluten intolerant but my mom is and its very frustrating for her to find good NORMAL food. so i have plans to open a gluten free and vegan cupcakery/ coffee shop in Portland. Eeeeeee!!! :D

posted over 9 years ago

heck
Style_council
heck

Sweet ^

I eat gluten, but I am Vegan so I already have the whole “I can’t go out and eat with you thing” down to a T

I know there’s almond flour that is apparently really good, I haven’t had it myself though.

posted over 9 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

I’m not allergic to gluten, and its really unfortunate. I know that there is this brand of foods called envirokids or something that’s organic and gluten-free. It all like…crispy bars and cereals and stuff and its really good.

That’s the problem today, people are developing gluten problems left and right because companies use it as a filler and everyone is over-exposed…

posted over 9 years ago

bigung
Style_council
bigung

I have a gluten allergy— it’s taken me a little while to get used to it..but it’s not too hard now—-eating out can be tricky, but not impossible!

i recommend quinoa!!! you can get a coffee blender and grind it up… excellent wheat flour replacement and tastes yummy!!!
rice flour works to but my fav is quinoa!!

posted over 9 years ago

MzNatuRal
Style_council
MzNatuRal

Hey,

I also have a gluten allergy. I also agree that it takes geting used to but what I’ve had the joy of doing is getting familiar again with the food I consume and purchase. Luckily I have a great gluten free shop where I can buy my breads, flours, and salad dressings.

Advice I have is find out if you have a celiac association nearby. They may be able to provide you with a listing of stores/restaurants etc. Also you can google some gluten free receipes. I went on allrecipes.com and picked up a chocolate chip recipe from there… I also have a banana recipe that I picked up from this website http://www.yadneverknow.com/. If you need more tips just let me know

It is tough, but takes adjusting to :)

posted about 9 years ago

kuriku
Style_council
kuriku

My mom is also allergic, she has keliac or something. We bought all these baking recipes for her and there’s a large selection in Europe for her type of allergies.

Enter my giveaway!

posted about 9 years ago

hogwartsandaphoenix
Style_council
hogwartsanda...

Mum does not eat gluten (or dairy). I occasionally join her on this, as it is a refreshing and rather odd way of eating. I like it though, because knocking out gluten can take a lot of unhealthy, nefarious things out of your diet. :)

posted about 9 years ago

snow
Style_council
snow

If you have a Trader Joe’s near you, they conveniently mark all of their products such as “vegan” “gluten free” etc. very handy. Also try health food stores, you should be able to find a lot of clearly labeled options. When traveling abroad last summer I found many restaurants in Europe to be very accommodating of gluten allergies—dairy allergies (which is what I’m allergic to) not so much.

posted about 9 years ago

EdgyIngenue
Style_council
EdgyIngenue

My sister is allergic to gluten and at first was very tough but six years after discovering the allergy and removing gluten/wheat from her diet, she says she honestly doesn’t miss it. She is creative and very flexible when eating out. We recently took a vacation together and I was impressed by how easily she navigated menus to find the items she could eat. Stick with the diet and you will find it is possible to eat with ease and still plenty of great flavor and variety. Best of luck!

posted about 9 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password