Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
thecynic
Style_council
thecynic

It’s my mom’s birthday coming up and I’d like to make her a gift myself to make it more personal. Anyone with good ideas on DIY gifts?

posted over 9 years ago
BluJinxx
Style_council
BluJinxx

If she likes scarves, you can knit her one. You can learn how to do this lots of ways by watching instructional videos online. Try YouTube.

posted over 9 years ago

IntrinsicallyFlorrie
Style_council
Intrinsicall...

Jewellery? Personally my mum loves bracelets- she tends to fiddle with necklaces too much.
She had a beaded bag that broke and I saved all the beads and made her some jewellery with them.

posted over 9 years ago

talkanatalka
Style_council
talkanatalka

Oooo I love doing DIY gifts, they can be really sweet and personal…that being said I had a lot of problems coming up with ideas this year :(. My usual standbys are jewelery (earrings and necklaces are pretty easy), because you can get the findings & beads relatively cheaply and have leftovers for more. Plus then you could always make something really unique from vintage beads and stuff.

Food items could work too, freezer jam is really easy to make and you can play around with fruits to put in, or bake cookies that you mom really likes or something. You could do a little tea basket with teas (or coffees in sample size), cookies, and jam.

posted over 9 years ago

_kait
Style_council
_kait

My grandma gave me a raspberry coloured scarf that she knitted, and a small handmade quilt.. Both amazing DIY gifts.

But, not everyone can knit or sew.. So one of the other great DIY gifts that I received years ago was a hand decorated jewelery box from a friend. It’s one of those plain wooden jewelery boxes that you can find at most craft stores for pretty cheap, and the top of the lid has a design that’s been filled in completely with seed beads. I’m guessing she just used a couple coats of glue to seal it all after. It looks awesome, and I’ve had it for 5 years now so it’s something I definitely get a lot of use out of.

posted over 9 years ago

EllG
Style_council
EllG

My cousin made some rockin’ florentines for christmas, an idea which i am seriously considering stealing as they are easy-peasy and ideal for the baking challenged (like myself)

I painted a mug for my boyfriend this christmas and he really liked it….it was – of course – crappily executed, but i think he liked that :D authentic…

posted over 9 years ago

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

if you decorate a photo frame and put a photo of you two in it of one of your favorite moments, i think that would be so cute and she’d love it

posted over 9 years ago

marimar
Style_council
marimar

Last year for my friends birthday we went to this place where you can make your own ceramic cups, pots, plates etc. You have to pay to do it but you design it yourself. It’s still very personal (you decorate it yourself) and they turned out wonderful.

Cooking her dinner or maybe a scrapbook? :)

posted over 9 years ago

tygerlileeful
Style_council
tygerlileeful

For my mom’s 40th birthday this past year, I made her a dvd slideshow with tons of photos of our family from over the past two years. I’m the photographer in the family, so it was easy to find lots of photographs from past family outings, etc.
She really loved it.

The best DIY gift I ever received was some homemade potpourri. I love incense and candles and my friend made me her own mix that makes my room smell so fresh!
Potpourri’s super easy to make, too!

posted over 9 years ago

thefieldsofelysium
Shop_seller_2 thefieldsofelysium is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
thefieldsofe...

Another idea: you’d have to pay to do it, but it’s fairly inexpensive — making a calendar with your own family/art photos on Shutterfly or any other similar website.

posted over 9 years ago

snow
Style_council
snow

Personally, I love to cook and bake and frequently make people special cookies, cupcakes, meals, etc. As far as other things, it took forever but I made my grandma a giant photo collage (by hand) for her birthday, using a mix of family photos from the past 100 years. It is huge (takes up almost a whole wall in her house) but guests love to look at it and she enjoys it very much as well.

posted over 9 years ago

DIVAnation
Style_council
DIVAnation

You could make her a pillow…and use fabric paint to write something nice on it…i did this when i was 14….kinda shows you really put some effort into it :) Good Luck with whatever you choose to do!

posted over 9 years ago

anli
Style_council
anli

I love making earrings for my friends – buy some pretty Swarovski beads, some wire, a few findings, and you can easily make something for $3-5 that would cost $15+ in a store. but of course, you need certain tools (at least a pair of roundnose pliers and wire cutters).

You could etch a glass vase and fill it with flowers. Buy a simple glass vase at the craft store, use stickers/tape/paint to create a design, cover with the etching stuff, let it sit, wash everything off and remove whatever you used to create the design. Careful though, the etching stuff is caustic and will burn you.

posted over 9 years ago

pantastic
Style_council
pantastic

If you knit, hand-knitting something would make a great gift. For Christmas, I knit several things for friends and family. There is also crocheting, sewing, jewelery-making.

If those types of crafts are not your thing (they usually take some time to learn… took me about a year to learn to knit something other than a plain garter or 1×1 rib scarf!), you could look into decoupage. It is very simple. All you need to pictures or magazine bits and some modpodge or nice craft glue. I’ve seen some really nice decoupage jewelery boxes and decorative plates or paper-weights.

posted over 9 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password