Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
MsElaneous
New_user MsElaneous is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When MsElaneous reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
MsElaneous

I’m a rather poor college student trying to get into fashion (I’ve mostly been a jeans and t-shirts kinda girl, but I started shopping at ModCloth about a year ago and am trying to break into it). The problem is, I have a budget of about $100/month for clothes, if that. I know I’ll only be able to buy a piece (maybe two) at a time for my wardrobe, but I don’t know where to start. Any help?

posted about 7 years ago
notorioushoot
Style_council
notorioushoot

Internet for fashion inspiration: chictopia is a great place! :)
Thrift stores such as Goodwill and Salvation Army (some of the most known): Cheap items.
Couponing can help and so can keeping track of sales and deals!

You can also try to turn in your old clothes at places such as Plato’s closet: If they accept your clothes, you’ll get money to spend! Kind of like a consignment shop.

posted about 7 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

Don’t shop at ModCloth. They’re sooo overpriced and everything is just copied from vintage styles anyway. Go to vintage and thrift stores and figure out what you like! Plus, thrift store prices won’t hurt so much, if you decide you don’t like the things you bought.

posted about 7 years ago

MsElaneous
New_user MsElaneous is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When MsElaneous reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
MsElaneous

What are the best basics to start with? I love quirky items, but I want to build up a solid base before really looking at some of the more special stuff.

posted about 7 years ago

KateSeverson
New_user KateSeverson is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When KateSeverson reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
KateSeverson

Best basics that can “fashion-up” any outfit? I’d go with a blazer, neons, your basic black or nude pump, button-up blouses. You want things that are versatile so you can create multiple outfits with fewer items.

If you can find a goodwill or arc thrift store near a higher-end neighborhood that would be the perfect place to start. I recently thrifted a $120 Ann Taylor blazer for $6! I also saw a gorgeous white leather jacket from Chico, originally $225 for $30 (alas it did not fit me the way I wanted it to or I’d have bought it). A bandage or pencil skirt is also a great basic item to have. I also really like thrifting accessories like crazy-color belts, purses (I found a gorgeous black leather purse last time I went to goodwill for $2.99), and jewelry. Just changing up accessories can make an outfit look like new!

posted about 7 years ago

BeckyBedbug
Style_council
BeckyBedbug

The best basics really depend on your style. I’m a vintage-lover so, for me, basics are:

Plain t shirts and vests in black, white and any other colours I fancy.
Full skirts in black and white.
Cardigans in neutrals.
Ballet pumps in neutrals.
Black brogues.
Black and nude tights.

posted about 7 years ago

minimalistpanda
Style_council
minimalistpanda

Thrift Stores, Target, Urban Outfitters (Black Friday!!), Forever 21. I refuse to buy anything over $15. DIY stuff is always an option. There’s a lot of no-sew tshirt tutorials out there.

posted about 7 years ago

livinglearningeating
Style_council
livinglearni...

Definitely shop sales racks and clearance – you get the same clothes, just a little later and for a fraction of the price! I do Sunday Steals over at my blog every week and sometimes I’m pretty impressed with the sales rack deals I find!

posted about 7 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

see if there’s a crossroads or buffalo exchange in your area—especially if they’re near your college, they should be full of fashionable items for less. plus, they buy clothes from you, and often give more in store credit.

stores like F21 and H&M are also good—like others said don’t shop at overpriced online boutiques. if you want to DIY your own clothes, see if you can find a sewing machine for cheap on Craigslist. I got mine for $40, but I’ve done enough with it that I feel like the purchase was worth it. There’s a discount fabric store in my area that has fabrics for .99/yard.

it also helps to be organized about shopping—i.e. consider what items you should splurge on, and which you should get for cheaper. before you buy anything, evaluate its versatility and how well it goes with everything else in your closet. i.e. don’t buy something if you have to buy a whole new outfit to go with it.

posted about 7 years ago

BowsandGlitterxo
Style_council
BowsandGlitt...

My advice shop end of season for great deals. Hold swap clothing parties with your friends. And do some diy as well. Thrifting is great .

posted about 7 years ago

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

Thrift stores will be your best friend

posted about 7 years ago

JanelleEfe
Style_council
JanelleEfe

Thrift stores and sales girl, particularly thrift stores. Look for clothes you can re-purpose, as well as vintage and foundation pieces! Goodwill is a great place to start your thrifting adventures.

posted about 7 years ago

juls1008
Style_council
juls1008

Well if you are purchasing items that take up a good amount of your monthly budget, start with classic versatile, essential wardrobe pieces that are (not necessarily the basic items or “trends” because trends change so often, though I wouldn’t really suggest following “trends” but rather finding the style or styles that work best for you and that you like). Thrift stores are good and you are likely to find more unique pieces, but it’s very hit or miss (you have to be willing to really search and realize you might find something you love that is in the wrong size or you may not find anything at all).
The best advice I was ever given is “Never buy anything on sale that you would not buy at full price.” If it has been marked to a dollar, and you know you will never wear it or you can tell there is a reason it was marked to a dollar, save your dollar. That adds up. But look for deals, look for sales (especially end of season sales), sign up for text or e-mail alerts with discounts or coupons at stores you shop at frequently and really like that offer that. Just have fun with it.
If you are spending a good amount of money from your budget on an item, definitely look for quality items that you can accessorize and get a lot of wear out of.

posted about 7 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password