SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
EmilyHendren
Style_council
EmilyHendren

I’ve just started a very vigorous running program to train for the chicago half marathon this June. Because I’m still living in winter weather, I don’t have the option of running on grass or a softer ground, and my knees are feeling the pain of pounding pavement. I don’t want to stop training, but I need help with my sore knees—icing them and upping my calcium intake isn’t cutting it! What do you recommend? Thanks!

posted over 10 years ago
blonderedhead
Style_icon
blonderedhead

make sure you are getting plenty of potassium. water won’t cut it when you are a runner or work out vigorously. it helps with cramps and joints. you may just need oils/vitamins for joint lubrication too. if that doesn’t help, see a doc.

(my soon to be nurse sister told me this after i complained of knee and foot problems from running)

posted over 10 years ago

carousel
Style_council
carousel

Physiotherapy is really good, as that strengthens whichever part of the body you’re working on, aswell as exercises your body and gets rid of aches and pains – I don’t know if it’d be easy to get one if you’re not living in the UK as here it is part of the NHS and you can get it for free but it’d be worth looking into

posted over 10 years ago

tessaarias
Style_council
tessaarias

Work out the muscles around your knee joint. I had to go to physical therapy because I don’t have enough cartilage in my knee joints and I basically worked out all the muscles around the knee to cushion the impact when doing exercises like running.

posted over 10 years ago

murph
Style_council
murph

try getting a massage. or maybe some glucosamine and condroitin.

posted over 10 years ago

hhaak
Style_council
hhaak

me too! i have horrible knes- got them from my dad.

Try SWIMMING. its the best for gravity free training. I swam for 4 years in highschool. For running i would work out with alot of sprints and short lap combos. Also get a paddle board so you can focus on just your legs…

hh

posted over 10 years ago

hoshimori
Style_council
hoshimori

Swimming does not uses the same muscle than running, my coach said.

Try to get good running shoes with a good sole. I’ve been using for 2 years now my saucony shoes, and it worths the price. Usually, store specialized in running gives good advize for this. ^^

posted over 10 years ago

kl08
Style_council
kl08

I used to run and I really liked it, but I had issues with my knees as well. They said that I was not using my legs equally and then I was overcompensating when I would run. SO I had to do exercises that would strengthen them equally. Like lunges and squats or wall sits.

posted over 10 years ago

EmilyHendren
Style_council
EmilyHendren

Well, even though I wish you all happy healthy knees, it’s good to know I’m not alone! Thanks for all the advice. I’ve bought a knee brace and am trying to strengthen it while keeping up with running. Thanks!

posted over 10 years ago

pammella
Style_council
pammella

I ran for years and have had to give it up due to knee problems. Turns out I have arthritis – running didn’t cause the arthritis, although it did accelerate the progression – so, do be careful! I would recommend glucosamine! Good for the joints! Best to you.

posted over 10 years ago

twinkl
Style_council
twinkl

Good luck on your marathon!!! I’m no runner, and I have no idea how people complete those long-distance runs.

I have a question related to your problem though: If I’m experiencing knee pain from the rare hike up a mountain I may do a few times a year, is it okay to take a few ibuprofens to ignore the pain and just keep trekking? Or is it best to listen to my knees and go home to rest? Of course, I’m not expecting medical-grade answers…. just personal anecdotes or general knowledge?

posted over 10 years ago

songerie
Style_council
songerie

I’ve got problem with my knees too :(
try riding a bike and swimming. You shouldn’t run now, but after physiotherapy – why not .

posted about 10 years ago

BirdsandBees
Style_council
BirdsandBees

I was a cross country runner and finally got out of shape and than went for a very hard run and messed up my knee.
It’s never fully healed and I have seen doctors and physical therapists. Think of the impact your knee/legs feel when hitting the hard pavement..
I now try to do knee exercises but it still hurts. :S

GoldLion
Style_council
GoldLion

that happend to me. when we were moving in to my old house i tripped over the curb and my knees went straight into the pavement, they swelled up a bit.. but its been 2 years since then and they act up every once in a while with throbbing pains, but i just have to walk it off, i don’t know what else to do.

New_user 61939 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 61939 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

For those having knee problems, are you doing other strengthening exercises? Sometimes people just do the running, without comparable strength training. In other words, all cardio and no weights. :)

I used to run a lot (and skate, and bike) and found that my knees only hurt when my supporting muscles were weak. Doing thigh exercises (front and back) like lunges (or leg lifts to avoid more knee strain) helps strengthen the long muscles that connect to the knee bones. That may help stabilize the knee area.

Working with a physical therapist or trainer may be worth looking into. Though some people just aren’t made for running. Their joints just don’t like it, so it may be a good idea to check with a doctor before proceeding.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password