rmenius
Style_council
rmenius

Don’t like at all.

posted over 10 years ago

goin
Style_council
goin

i think piercings are a matter of personal choice like tattoos, and really- if you wanna get them… go for it! what other people say or think shouldn’t stop you (unless you really don’t want one that bad i guess). it’s only trashy if well… you know, if you’re trashy lol. i personally have my septum pierced and it freaks people out sometime because i don’t seem like the type.

ultimately it’s like your own personal style and wardrobe. a bunch of people may not like it, but that doesn’t stop you from liking it and shouldn’t stop you from wearing it.

posted over 10 years ago

KELSEEE
Style_council
KELSEEE

I think they’re trashy as well :/
and plus it’s easy to chip your teeth with those, so I’d never think of getting one

posted over 10 years ago

New_user 61939 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When 61939 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

I’ve had several piercings so I figured I should weigh in. :) There are a lot of myths about infections and sex and such, usually spoken by people who don’t actually have piercings. ;) Piercing is safe as long as you go about it smartly.

If you’re going to get a piercing, go to a REPUTABLE shop that SPECIALIZES in piercings only.
Ask people you see with piercings where they got it done. Really, most people are happy to talk about it if you ask nicely. Most often you’ll find the same 2 or 3 places keep getting mentioned.

Plan to spend a sizable amount
This is NOT something you want to cheap-out on. It’s your body, respect that and treat a piercing like an investment. All kinds of nasty things can happen if you try to get the cheapest instead of the best quality, in terms of both piercing and jewelry. However, if you TAKE CARE of your piercings it’s very unlikely that you’ll have any health issues.

Have a consultation with the piercing artist first.
Ask about healing time, cleaning, potential problems, what you can and cannot do, risks. I believe there is also a sort of code of conduct for professional piercers and you can find this online. It should help you identify the signs of a good place.

Take care of your piercings
If you don’t have the time and discipline to properly clean your piercing and care for your body jewelry, especially during the first weeks, then don’t get a piercing.

posted about 10 years ago

New_user 61939 is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When 61939 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

Re: tongue piercing specifically…

I had my tongue piercing for years. Below is some info that may help if you’re considering it. :) But again, do your own research.

does it hurt?
Of course it hurts. ;) You’re stabbing a metal rod through your tongue. I found the process of the piercing itself is less pain than the healling. The act of piercing was enough to make my eyes water, but then it quickly passed. It was the long process of healing that was really painful for me, because your tongue is swelling and the metal rod presses into the flesh when that happens.

This may have changed, but the following applied when I had it done:
- No solid food for 1-2 weeks
- No open mouth kissing or any oral contact for at least 2 weeks. yes, really. don’t try to test this one.
- I believe I had to rinse a peroxide mixture to clean my mouth/piercing for the first week.
- For the following weeks I had to rinse with Listerine immediately after I drank something other than water or ate something, every time. Yes, EVERY time. I carried around a travel size bottle in my purse.
- A very long bar is used for the first piercing, then after the swelling subsides you can gradually move to smaller bars. This means that over the course of the first months you’ll need to buy numerous rods, however you won’t need to by the end cap balls if you match the same threading and gauge.

…In other words, it’s a commitment. It’s not something you stroll in and do on a whim, with no repercussions.

healing
It took at least a full week for the swelling to begin to subside, during which time I periodically had to suck on ice cubes to keep the swelling manageable. There was still some swelling for another 2-3 weeks after that, which affected my speech. So I talked funny for about a month. However, once it healed I had no problems with speech, eating, kissing, etc.

Some things to note about tongue piercings:
- According to a reputable piercing parlor, apparently your tongue swells when you’re fighting off infection. It’s part of an immune system thing or something. This is something I never noticed until I got my tongue pierced and had something to gauge it by. Whenever I would get a cold or be fighting off something my tongue would swell and I’d have to change to a longer bar.

- I had to take mine out because it was eroding my gums along my front teeth, even though I had long broken the habit of playing with the piercing. (Though in fairness, I have crappy, fragile gums and my piercing was in for 8-9 years.) I’ve heard other people mention the same problem with their gums. So keep in mind that a tongue piercing may not be a lifelong thing, unlike something like ear or belly piercing.

- I didn’t have any problem with chipped teeth. I just didn’t play with it by banging it against my teeth. You can also get a plastic ball for the bottom, though I was told by a piercer this is not a good permanent option for tongue piercings because plastic can breed bacteria.

And finally, I feel the need to address this since it always comes up…
IMO, do NOT get a piercing for sex purposes

Seriously, you’re jamming a fricking metal rod through your mouth. That ain’t natural. ;) And it takes weeks of healing, during which time you have to revolve your life around taking care of it. Unless you’re a professional sex worker, you shouldn’t be doing sh*t like that for someone else. ;) Get a piercing because you like it, because you think it’s interesting or beautiful or it brings you some enjoyment. Get it FOR YOURSELF.

Really, every guy I’ve asked says it does NOT add any pleasure for them when receiving oral sex. It’s just like there’s this small thing kinda pressing there, but it’s not really helping it feel better or worse. However, I’ve had several lesbian acquaintances say that it does enhance oral sex for a female recipient. YMMV. But I still wouldn’t that recommend any man or lesbian woman get a tongue piercing for that reason.

New_user 35263 is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When 35263 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!

personally i don’t like it at all, but if you love it and you’ve done the research, go for it! some of these responses are very informative. and i agree that it’s a serious thing and not something to do on a whim.

roleepop
Style_council
roleepop

it’s an unnecessary embellishment.. >_<

archana
Style_council
archana

personally, i really dislike tongue piercings. when other people have them… i feel a throb of pain every time i look at them :b but it’s all personal preference. i think industrial piercings are SO awesomely badass yet classy. i’m sure others wont approve. what would happen when your food gets stuck under your piercing? or what if a fork catches the ball of it? it might click against your teeth and impair your speech..

just get the piercing you want and be happy with it. things like tattoos and piercings are very personal — you’ll get different reactions all around. the only one that matters is your opinion.

Widjy
Style_council
Widjy

It doesn’t impair everyones speech and if it does, it is usually only for a few weeks after you have gotten the piercing at most.

It did not impair my speech in the slightest.

I have had mine for over a year and I love it. People say it isn’t ‘classy’ or whatever but in my opinion, if you want to hide it, you can. I love it. So I say go for it :)

teamB_macro
Style_council
teamB_macro

I don’t think you should do it. Seriously, if you can picture yourself 40 years from now with that thing sticking out your tongue, then go for it. I just think you’re better off without it. And yes, it does make girls look cheap plus the fact that you can’t rule out infections. I’m sure you are pretty the way you are. You don’t need these things, believe me.

DigitalMK
Style_council
DigitalMK

This is funny because I took my dog to the groomers today and the lady who worked there looked in her late 50s. And she had this neon green tongue ring on and her hair was platinum blonde w/ black undertones and down to her butt. I was like o_O when I saw her.. HAHAHA

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I think they’re ugly. Where I live it’s like a big trend at the moment, loads of people have them, at least half of my friends have them. I’m not a fan of piercings in general (apart from ears) but tongues are the worst imo. Seeing some big tongue bar when someone talks ruins an otherwise nice face.

short_sweet
Style_council
short_sweet

my friend got one and sounds stupid when she talks
i think if you’re style is really clasic a toung ring will give you some edge
it’s secretive and sexy in a classy way
if you carry you’re self in a classy way
dont pull it out and play with it and stick you’re toung on 24 7

posted over 9 years ago

xxmidnightkisses
Style_council
xxmidnightki...

well, its your tongue so the only opinion that should really matter is your own.
if you want it then i say go for it. if you end up not liking it or you get sick of it then you can just take it off & it heals pretty fast.

if you wonder about it being painful & chipping your teeth..well…
i got mine done in the end of the last year. & its actually the least painful from all my piercings but it does bother you for the next couple of days because it swells up & its hard to talk & the bar also annoys you but its only for 3-4 days & after that you’ll be able to eat & talk normally. if done properly then there should be no problem with it messing with your taste buds.
also, you shouldnt worry about it infecting. as long as you follow the instructions your piercer gives you. the tongue piercing is the least likely to get infected because its in your mouth & the saliva has a substance in it that kills bacteria.

about the teeth chipping, you can choose to have plastic balls which you will end up crushing them if you tend to play with your tongue piercing alot. but they do have other type of piercings which is a semi ball so it’s more..hm…in a way of saying it…it’ll be flat on your tongue.

hope this helps & if you end up getting it then hope it goes well! :)

pm me if you wanna know more. :)

posted over 9 years ago

doremi
Style_council
doremi

I love tongue piercings. I think they are sexy on both guys and girls, only if they don’t stick their tongues out all the time. I don’t appreciate that.

posted over 9 years ago

sliponroses
Style_council
sliponroses

I don’t have or want one, my boyfriend doesn’t have or want one, and we don’t want each other to get one.

But if that’s what floats your boat, I’m not stopping you!

posted over 9 years ago

solybBy
Style_council
solybBy

unclassy

posted over 9 years ago

Reybeltane
Style_council
Reybeltane

I don’t understand tongue piercings…it just seems like more trouble than style. Eating, kissing, singing, etc all seem like they would be worse than usual.

posted over 9 years ago

anonymours
Style_council
anonymours

honestly: unnecessary and gross and get in the way. eww..

posted over 9 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

I don’t like them =/

posted over 9 years ago

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

i think most piercings are trashy :/

posted over 9 years ago

dorotron
Style_council
dorotron

according to my friend, it really hurt when she got it. :P

posted over 9 years ago

razzmatazz
Style_council
razzmatazz

i have nothing against tongue piercings, but i think i wouldn’t want one myself. mostly because i couldn’t stand being without eating, cause at first i bet it hurts like hell to eat :D and i love eating too much haha :D

posted over 9 years ago

nay_myquel
Style_council
nay_myquel

all my friend have them or had them..except me..i think people only get them for fun..and things…

posted over 9 years ago

lquery83
Style_council
lquery83

Thanks msdyno! Very informative. Lots I didn’t know.

posted over 9 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password