SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Beauty

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
thesimpletheory
Style_council
thesimpletheory

are face primers worth it? what was something you noticed after using it? do you recommend any?

posted about 8 years ago
CutCopyPaste
Style_council
CutCopyPaste

I love love love my primers. I use MAC Bare Canvas for my eyes, and it helps keep my shadows from creasing, it’s easier to blend and keeps the colours true to their shade. I use a face primer as well and my face makeup stays better, plus it gives a flawless finish. Before I put on my primer I use MAC Strobe Cream, let that sit, and then apply MAC Prep + Prime Primer letting that sit for a bit before applying my MAC Studio Fix Liquid Foundation.

I’ve tried everything though, and that’s the only combination that gives me an airbrush finish. I have oily skin aswell.

posted about 8 years ago

jaded
Style_council
jaded

i feel like face primers don’t really do anything for me in terms of making my foundation last longer (i already use long-wearing foundations) but eye primers do help my shadows stay on my oily lids longer without fading or creasing. i suggest the urban decay primer potion or benefit’s stay don’t stray one (:

posted about 8 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I rarely use primers—I almost never wear foundation on my skin, so face primers would be pretty useless. as for eyes, my makeup is usually well-pigmented enough that I wouldn’t really need an eye primers—granted it would help stay on longer, but I’m lazy lol

posted about 8 years ago

PeachyPanda
Style_council
PeachyPanda

I only use face primer when i wear mineral foundation or else my face will end up looking very cakey. I don’t wear eye primer all the time but it does make a difference in having the color stay on longer and being more vibrant

posted about 8 years ago

notsohum
Style_council
notsohum

I only use primers on my eyes because its makes my eyeshadow stick

posted about 8 years ago

_ReD_LiPsTiCk_
Style_council
_ReD_LiPsTiCk_

luxury. I have a primer because it came with an urban decay palette that I bought but in the almost 4 years I have had it, I never used it. Maybe I will one day.

posted about 8 years ago

Style_Composer
Style_council
Style_Composer

matters on your skin type if you already have smooth skin cuz that is the best primer you can have. if u want to get rid of redness or something then go ahead and TRY it. always better to take home a sample first cuz a one time try in the stores doesn’t give ur skin enough time to react to it.
also sometimes a primer is all you need cuz it already smooths out your skin.

posted about 8 years ago

wonderfinch
Style_council
wonderfinch

I’ve never used a face primer, but I love eyeshadow primers. They make the color stick longer and can help intensify less-pigmented shades. My personal favorite is the Urban Decay primer potion, but there’s a L’Oreal primer that’s carried at most drugstores that also works well and costs half as much (I forget what it’s called but it’s just in with the mascara and eyeshadow in my drugstore’s L’Oreal section).

posted about 8 years ago

DistrictOfLights
Style_council
DistrictOfLi...

Both luxury and necessity.
I never use face primer, and i barely know anyone that uses makeup regularly that does. But I use eye primer because it makes the color last longer! It also depends on the person too, since some (like me) have eyelids or skin that tend to become oily faster. Maybe i’ll try out a face primer next time?

posted about 8 years ago

sundaycrossbow
Style_council
sundaycrossbow

I use my eye primer all the time (mary kay)

posted about 8 years ago

EllaNista
Style_council
EllaNista

Personally my makeup is an investment and a primer is key. Primer’s prepare your skin and create a smooth surface for foundation/powder makeup. For me it gives a flawless finish, evens out skin tone, and my makeup will stay all day.

My picks are: Smashbox Photo Finish (great all year round), Too Faced Primed and Poreless (best for summer, you only use powder, or just under bronzers), Origins Underwear for Lids (eye lids)

~Ellanista

posted about 8 years ago

cutiepie63
Style_council
cutiepie63

I think face primer is unnecessary. Foundation is often used to cover blemishes and the use of it clogs pores. I think the less you use to cover your face the better.
However, eye primers are really nice. The color stays a lot longer, and the color is so much purer. You can be out all day and the color barely fades or creases. I have one by Too Faced and use it a few times a week. I’ve had it for over a year, and it’s only a little less than halfway gone. For 28 dollars, it comes out to not be a bad price.

posted about 8 years ago

Curvy_Chic_Confident
Style_council
Curvy_Chic_C...

I LOVE my Eye Primer (I dont feel like The more expensive ones are worth it..Mine is by ELF and last all day..) And as far as a face primer..I have never used one BUT i dont ware my foundation heavy anyway…(REALLY LIGHT…just to even out some areas..then i dust a bronzer on…)
But If someone has a lot to conceal, then a primer might be the best thing for their foundation to last longer :)

posted about 8 years ago

hadelicious
Style_council
hadelicious

Luxury, because its not something you have to use. However, it can be beneficial at times.

posted about 8 years ago

Anusha_Outfitter
Style_council
Anusha_Outfi...

I started doing make up recently and I don’t use a primer, but I think it is important to wear; especially, for long wear, talking out of experience :P!!!

posted about 8 years ago

Planeglass
New_user Planeglass is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When Planeglass reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
Planeglass

I think it depends on your skin type. Ive got super duper dry skin and without a good primer my foundation just looks all flakey because of my skin.
Im sure if you have normal skin then its not necessarily.

posted about 8 years ago

DaniGlam
Style_council
DaniGlam

Ok so I think primers do help eyeshadows last longer, however I would use a cheap alternative instead of buying a primer. I have noticed that using a concealer (mine is a cream concealer) does the same thing that a primer does. The only problem is that if you have oily lids or have problems with heavier cream based products creasing easily on your skin this might not necessarily prove useful to you.

posted about 8 years ago

Chilli
Style_council
Chilli

I don’t like them I prefer the way my make up looks without a primer.

posted about 8 years ago

oliviaba7x
Style_council
oliviaba7x

Not into face primers but I do like eyeshadow primers. I have oily eyelids (gross right?) and it does tend to stick on a lot longer. Plus in my opinion shadows tend to blend easier

posted about 8 years ago

hotlikemexico
Style_council
hotlikemexico

yes eye & lip primers are good ;) foundation only for night or summery days i think ;D

posted about 8 years ago

thesimpletheory
Style_council
thesimpletheory

wow thanks everyone for the advice!!! i went out and got l’oreal studio secrets and i love the texture! sometimes i wear it alone or put powder over it because it’s summer now. i don’t wear enough eye shadow to by eye primer… but could you not use face primer as eye primer?

posted about 8 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password