SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
xvavavava
Style_council
xvavavava

article here

devastating. i have some friends who started a nonprofit in chile and are currently living in valparaiso, thankfully they are all safe. my thoughts are with the chilean people and all of those who are affected.

posted over 9 years ago
JalisaRiley
Style_council
JalisaRiley

omg s soon as i heard that it was bigger than the one in haiti i couldnt believe i hope that they are geting all the help they can get

posted over 9 years ago

museworthy
Style_council
museworthy

Funny, isn’t it? More U.S. citizens are concerned about Hawaii’s tsunami warning then running to aid Chile like they did with Haiti, even though Chile had a far more devastating earthquake then Haiti.

Extreme weather is really hitting our planet hard. I always knew it would.

posted over 9 years ago

xvavavava
Style_council
xvavavava

i’m not surprised that many americans are more concerned about hawaii than about chile—unfortunately, quite a few have the mindset that if they’re not “american” then it doesnt matter

even when we first heard about haiti i saw people on facebook saying that they deserved it, that we shouldn’t worry about them because we are in a recession and should worry about “our people” (which is mindblowing, even the poorest of the poor in the US would have a hard time imagining what haiti was like BEFORE the earthquake, so they really can’t compare)

so there’s the “us and them” attitude of some americans that truly disgusts me, but many more did help whether they gave money, supplies, and volunteer work—and still are continuing to give aid.

but comparing the earthquake in chile with the one in haiti is pretty unbalanced. chile is much wealthier, much more developed, and has earthquakes fairly often so they have a superior infrastructure. haiti has no building codes, and the quake devastated their densely populated capital city. chile has strictly enforced building codes, and they were much more prepared, which is the reason that the chilean death toll from the quake is a fraction of the six figures in haiti.

“Chile is wealthier and infinitely better prepared, with strict building codes, robust emergency response and a long history of handling seismic catastrophes. No living Haitian had experienced a quake at home when the Jan. 12 disaster crumbled their poorly constructed buildings.” source: MSNBC

posted over 9 years ago

museworthy
Style_council
museworthy

People disgust me. Especially those who think like that. Ignorance is a global issue. And yes, I do agree.. you can’t compare the two disasters as Chile wasn’t really considered a disaster.. but I think Americans care less because one of “ours” was about to effected.

posted over 9 years ago

antoinettemarie
Style_council
antoinettemarie

i really hope everyone is okay :(

posted over 9 years ago

verucasalt22
Style_council
verucasalt22

we were totally fine over here in Hawaii but they were still super concerned. it quite stupid i think. chile needs way more help than we do.

posted over 9 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password