SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
twinkl
Style_council
twinkl

Netflix’s VP of Marketing posts the Notice on Netflix Blog

I love movies. I used to love Netflix. But they recently announced that they were going to increase the price for Blu-Ray access (option to get blu-ray discs instead of regular dvds) from $1 to $4 a month. Their reason? The extra expense of the blu-ray discs vs. normal dvd’s and their need to buy more of them (since more people own HDTV’s and blu-ray players now). This is in addition to the standard monthly fees. So that amounts to about $24/month for me if I choose to continue with my current plan, and $10/month if I downgrade to 1 dvd a month with blu-ray access. With that kind of money, I could buy a blu-ray disc a month and have the pleasure of expanding my movie collection.

Something tells me they already have an enormous profit margin. I personally think it’s a very poor way for them to try to recoup in this economy. Everyone else is lowering fees. What’s wrong with these Netflix people?

Netflix was cool because it was a cheap, fast way for me to take advantage of a near unlimited source of movies without having to download unreliable files. I’ll be canceling my subscription as soon as the end of this month, since I’ve already paid for it.

How do you feel about the direction Netflix is taking?

posted over 10 years ago
JusticePirate
Style_council
JusticePirate

I don’t have blueray at all, but considering 6 years ago I used to rent a dvd/vhs for $5 each from blockbuster’s store (which has since closed so there are no blockbusters anywhere near me, not that it matters since I’ve used netflix for over 5 years now!!!!) I don’t think it is that much of a problem. I do Netflix 5-at-a-time plus I do instant play. I watch a LOT of movies, and this week alone I’ve seen maybe 8 or 9 films. I pay maybe $33 a month for seeing nearly 40 movies a month. . so I think that’s a swell deal!! Especially since there are no late fees. I’m a big Netflix fan! ;)

posted over 9 years ago

SpammishRice
Style_council
SpammishRice

I would think that if someone was so hard-hit by the poor economy that they’ve fallen on hard times, they would be cutting their extraneous expenses anyway. It’s not really Netflix’s responsibility to look out for the state of their customers’ finances, and I doubt there’s anyone dumb enough to bankrupt themselves on movie rentals.

I do the 1 DVD/month plan, and it was a mere $1 increase for me. Honestly, it’s such a trivial increase for the option of better quality picture and sound and more special features that I don’t really care. It probably would’ve been a better idea to keep a “DVD only” plan available though, for the customers that don’t have Blu-ray or don’t want the option.

Either way, most of my Netflix use is with the unlimited instant play — where else would I be able to watch all the Doctor Who series, the entire Monty Python’s Flying Circus, AND whatever’s the latest movie to hit the market? Definitely not Blockbuster or Hollywood Video.

posted over 9 years ago

JusticePirate
Style_council
JusticePirate

hehe i watch all the classic Doctor Whos through netflix myself. But I had them all recorded on VHS since the 1980s. My dad has been a Doctor Who fan since it came out in 1964!!! I blame him.

I don’t have T.V. channels, not even one (honestly I’ve never been a T.V. person and haven’t watched anything since 1992!), so that’s why I am a big movie watching person with netflix. I don’t pay for cable or telephone bills. . so instead of paying an extra $80 a month for those two things, I spend only $30 extra. :: shrugs ::

posted over 9 years ago

lizeepea
Style_council
lizeepea

I guess I’m an old fashioned kinda girl, but I always rent movies from my corner store. They’re pretty cheep, 3$ a movie, and they usually have the biggest new releases. I’ve built a relationship with the people who work there, so most of the time now they’ll let me take 2 movies for 3$… not a bad deal. And since it’s a small store, after about 9 months on a shelf they put it up for sale as well as rent. So if there is ever a movie I adore I can purchase it for 6$ (they take away the 3$ because I have already rented it). I’m probably just really lucky to have this deal, but maybe give a corner store a chance? You might be surprised ;)

(Oh, and I live in Canada, so these are Canadian prices, LOL)

posted over 9 years ago

justbenatural
Style_council
justbenatural

If you’re an avid movie watcher (which I definately am!), Netflix turns out to be quite a steal. If you think about a new release costing about $5 (in the U.S), for the price of three rentals, you could have unlimited access through Netflix. Even with a $4 increase, you can watch unlimited movies for the price of 4 rentals! Still a great deal!! Plus, you have unlimited access to what’s available to watch instantly! =)

I do agree that it is a bit of a slimy way to increase the profit margin – but on the other hand, blue-rays are a little more expensive for them to own and maintain – and they have to compensate for whenever one of these expensive discs gets lost in the mail, broken, scratched, or someone just decides to cancel their membership and/or keep it!

I completely agree with SpammishRice that there should be a DVD-only option, especially for families who don’t have Blue-ray capability. That way, they keep more subscriptions, and people who can’t use the service with the increase don’t have to worry about it. =)

posted over 9 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password