Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
sandravision17
Style_council
sandravision17

In the United States, immigration more towards undocumented immigrants has grown more hostile. In California recently there have been Assembly Bills being put up for the governor to sign concerning undocumented students being able to receive financial aid. Also the Senate rejecting the Dream Act a few months ago.

What are you views on immigration? This is more of a US issue but it hurts other countries too.

posted about 8 years ago
tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

seeing as I don’t exactly know the full extent of the effects that illegal immigration has on the economy, I don’t think my opinion is valid. but coming from a humanitarian point of view, I doubt disallowing people the opportunity to work or get an (affordable) education would have any great benefits for society.
I know a lot of children of illegal immigrants are born citizens, but there are still those whose parents brought them illegally when they were young. after high school, what are they supposed to do? they can’t work, they can’t get a better education, they’re not qualified for benefits—they just stagnate, even though this place is the only home they ever really knew. letting this happen can’t be the solution.

posted about 8 years ago

notsohum
Style_council
notsohum

I think that they should have laws against illegal immigrants because there taking up jobs from legal immigrants and citizens. I want to move to France and be an immigrant there, but I would never want to do it illegally because it does make the less money and worse living for everyone, including myself and you wouldn’t actually be a French person, you would be so different from the rest of the people you would live around and it would be hard making friends.
What I don’t like the most is though that alot if illegal people that come to America, won’t learn English, you need to speak english to become a citizen.

posted about 8 years ago

gstyle
Style_council
gstyle

america itself has been built up by immigrants…the natives owned the land and were subjected to persecution and ill treatment for ages!

posted about 8 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

notsohum, I definitely understand where you’re coming from, but don’t you think that if people had the opportunity to speak english, they would? a 40-year-old immigrant will most likely live in an immigrant community because it’s easier for them to integrate; people who are much less educated and much older (i.e. they’re not in public schooling, don’t have friends who aren’t immigrants) won’t be able to learn English fluently. Also, if anyone was an illegal immigrant anywhere, you wouldn’t be able to get jobs—France or anywhere else—unless you were thinking of backbreaking labor as your profession. I don’t even think you can be employed with just a student visa, but this might depend on the country.

Although it’s self-evident that laws prohibiting illegal immigration should be tightened, I don’t think it’s acceptable to ostracize residents and prevent them from getting an education or even being able to eventually acquire citizenship—this is where I have complaints in US legislature. my college roommate’s aunt and her family were deported to mexico, even though they hadn’t lived there in years. so naturally, they had no home and no family—they are now literally begging in the streets. One of my friends freshman year was this absolutely brilliant engineer—his parents messed up his citizenship status when he was much younger, and when it was discovered he had to drop out; he had so much potential, it’s not even funny.. but that was all lost.

Yes, we should discourage illegal immigration, but not passing the DREAM Act was a step in the wrong direction.

posted about 8 years ago

sandravision17
Style_council
sandravision17

notsohum, undocumented immigrants don’t take up jobs. Most jobs require a social security number which they don’t have, plus there are actually many jobs in agriculture but many of the employers state that no documented person has ever came looking for the job.

newamericanclassic, I’m glad you agree! I have friends that busted their butt in high school and was at the top of their class but can’t even qualify or financial aid, their family doesn’t make much money either. They were brought over as children and speak english and are as American as anyone else but they aren’t allowed to further their education? If immigrants were given the chance to become citizens they would! Being hunted down and living in the shadows isn’t something anyone wants to do.

posted about 8 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password