Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
flattery
Style_icon
flattery

This is a really important topic to bring up, and I wanted to make this thread because of what happened at the Miss America Pageant.
If you missed it, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XMvviFbkf0&feature=related

So, what are your thoughts?

Personally, It bothers me that people are just like ‘oh well its her opinion…’
There is an EXTENT to what personal opinion is okay.
There is a difference between opinions such as; I prefer purple over green.
And: “I hate people with white skin and really I dont think they should have rights and I think there should be a second holocaust for them.”

That was obviously just an example by the way.
Equality is Equality.
People are being snotty about their religion (bigots.) by trying to have CONTROL over people.
You cannot deny two people equality. Gay people SHOULD be allowed to be married, EVERYWHERE!!

posted over 10 years ago
1 2 4
twinkl
Style_council
twinkl

And who can take Perez seriously anyway? That’s his job… to annoy people. The whole fiasco was a joke from the beginning when whoever the powers may be chose Perez Hilton as a judge.

posted over 10 years ago

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

@ NicoleStar91 the example you made is nothing like what she said. she didn’t sound “snotty” AT ALL, she sounded pretty respectful and she has every right to her opinion. she should not have lost a beauty pageant for being against gay marriage. i hate how it’s thought of as politically incorrect to be against gay marriage

You talk to anyone actually involved in the pageant and they’ll tell you she was behind in points, lame comment or no. Shanna Moakler from the Miss Cali Organization said there was no mathematical way for her to win even before the question round.

@ fauxfur His exact words were, “She lost, not because she doesn’t believe in gay marriage; Miss California lost because she’s a DUMB BITCH.” Unprofessionalism at its finest.

Let’s not be disingenuous here: Perez Hilton is not a journalist. His profession (if it could be called that) is being a public personality. And for his public persona, that includes saying brash things that are crude and acerbic. If you have such a strong response to him, then it could argued that he’s doing his job perfectly.

@ elora Did you want her to lie and make up an answer she didn’t believe in just so she wouldnt get people upset?

Being polite doesn’t make you less wrong. Excusing yourself when you go to vote to strip millions of people of civil liberties doesn’t make it less an act of majority oppression. I would want her to say, “I don’t agree with it, but I understand that there are people out there who are negatively impacted by my stance and by the similar stance that other people take. My conscience, however, is not bothered by my willingness to dictate to other people what lives, morals, and freedoms they should or should not have.” You can’t excuse someone’s actions (and the subsequent repercussions) just because they said it in a nice way.

All this being said, I really don’t give a crap what a surgically altered, conservative flesh puppet thinks about politics. She’s welcome to her opinion and her words, but to decry the mass scrutiny that being a public figure entails as “unfair” or “hurtful” is ridiculous at best and idiotic at worst.

posted over 10 years ago

fauxfur
Style_council
fauxfur

@geekbonchic: I’m not by any means against his response. If anything, I mentioned ‘unprofessionalism’ in a positive manner. He does unprofessionalism (in that his ‘profession’ runs in contrast to the standards/ethics of professionalism) to a T, but thank you for your input because I do agree that he is doing his job perfectly – as a professional unprofessional. LOL

posted over 10 years ago

zee_ay_see93
Style_council
zee_ay_see93

It’s legal in Maine now… just fyi :) :) :) :)

posted over 10 years ago

thefieldsofelysium
Shop_seller_2 thefieldsofelysium is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
thefieldsofe...

^ It’s sweeping New England! (Except Rhode Island and its large Catholic population…eh.)

A neat article from The Economist: “Man and man in Maine”

posted over 10 years ago

vianacoke
Style_council
vianacoke

I really cannot believe Miss California got to keep her crown. this apparently had nothing to do with her gay marriage comment, but she had raunchy pictures from her past. Vanessa Williams got her crown taken away..so this bitch should have hers taken too!

her comment on gay marriage stirred this whole thing up. she’s entitled to her opinion but she is not entitled to making offensive remarks about it. her answer was the worst anyone could have possibly stated.

posted over 10 years ago

NicoleStar91
Style_council
NicoleStar91

Actually

thefieldsofelysium- first of all, miss cali did not cry out vociferously against anything. she was asked wether she believed in gay marriage and gave an honest answer. i do not agree that same sex marriage is a human right. assault/discrmination in workplace/ discharging military personnel are entirely different issues that are not being discussed right now. i did not bring them up, and miss california did not bring them up at the pageant, let alone “cry out vociferously” against them. you are very dramatic – I suggest you become an actress, or better yet, a glorified blogger (or whatever perez hilton is).

posted over 10 years ago

thefieldsofelysium
Shop_seller_2 thefieldsofelysium is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
thefieldsofe...

@ NicoleStar91: I was not, in fact, referring to Miss California, but instead countering your generalized statement (i hate how it’s thought of as politically incorrect to be against gay marriage — which, I assume, you stated with respect to all people against gay marriage, not just Miss California) with a like response. I was addressing all people who are actively against gay marriage, particularly the ones who carry around signs saying “Gay Marriage Destroys Traditional Families & Harms Our Children!” (Crying out vociferously, indeed.) But, with regards to Miss California, she did more than just state her opinion (which would have been fine, if it remained thus) — she went ahead and became a paid spokesperson for the National Organization for Marriage (NOM). Doing so meant that her opinion was no longer personal — she was attempting to make her opinion a national, public, financial, and legislative affair. (Although I do believe she stepped down from that position already.)

And the reason I brought up assault, discrimination in the workplace, and the discharging of military personnel alongside the subject of marriage is because they all fall under the category of human rights. I do not see how one can acknowledge one right, yet attempt to deny another. However, I see the crux of the issue: you do not agree that same-sex marriage is a human right. May I ask why? If you could provide more reasoning and details of your argument, I believe that will help me to understand your position better.

Also, as I do want to debate this particular issue rationally, I would ask that you refrain from personal (or ad hominem, if you will) attacks, as we are discussing each other’s ideas/opinions, not each other’s personalities/characteristics. I will do the same. (In this manner, I hardly think I am comparable to Perez Hilton!)

posted over 10 years ago

flattery
Style_icon
flattery

I agree hayleyjade. thefieldsofelysium seems incredibly intelligent and I’m glad she’s pro-same sex marriage :)

posted over 10 years ago

thefieldsofelysium

thefieldsofe...

@ hayleyjade & flattery: Thank you. Unfortunately, I rarely encounter others who are willing to discuss gay marriage (or any other controversial issue) in a rational, level-headed manner. I suppose we must now wait on NicoleStar91’s response…

News updates:

New Hampshire legalized gay marriage!

Slightly unrelated but cute: ‘Gay’ penguins rear adopted chick.
(Although, I personally think the best part of this story is the fact that there are two German Humboldt penguins named Z and Vielpunkt. How neat would it be to come from the Z-Vielpunkt family?)

posted over 10 years ago

twinkl
Style_council
twinkl

I want to be in that family.

posted over 10 years ago

catbitches
Style_council
catbitches

I’m so glad to be living in a country where it is legal. (England)

I’ve heard quite a bit about this and I can’t believe people are against something so harmless. If two people are in love and want to spend their lives together, how can you deny them that?

Their not hurting anyone or themselves, so that’s the problem? If the argument is that it’s not “natural” then I think people need to remember that humans no longer need to mate with the opposite sex in order to continue the species anymore: we aren’t dying from the elements or being hunted anymore.Think about it; the planets pretty full as it is and besides homosexuality has been recorded amongst other species as well.

Miss California’s way of thinking is not only outdated but socially damaging.

Cat Bitches

posted over 10 years ago

LaBellaVita323
Style_council
LaBellaVita323

thankfully i live in MA so it’s legal here..but it’s disgusting to think that other people would deny a simple human right based on opinion. It was my understanding that we were far beyond the era of state & church being equal. We’re a country that bases ourselves on equality and freedom yet discriminate based on DNA. it’s sad but true that discrimination or prejudice in any form will never go away, but we’ve come too far in such a short time to focus on that..

posted over 10 years ago

LaBellaVita323
Style_council
LaBellaVita323

bitch just got dethroned.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/06/10/prejean.dethroned/index.html

posted over 10 years ago

mallobar
Style_council
mallobar

She can have her own opinion, whatever, who cares though. Really, why do straight people care if gay people can get married? It doesn’t affect them at all.

posted over 10 years ago

twinkl
Style_council
twinkl

@mallobar: Interesting observation, because I’m sure a lot of people feel the same way—that it doesn’t affect them. If it really doesn’t affect anyone, shouldn’t the government just let them get married? Why all the fuss to try to BAN it. Jeesh. Talk about overreacting.

posted over 10 years ago

cherrybitch
Style_council
cherrybitch

I think everyone should have the right to marry the person he or she loves.

posted about 10 years ago

XxAngel_Emz95xX
Style_council
XxAngel_Emz95xX

bauss: you are SO right!! I agree with every word! couldn’t have put it better :)

hannahnicole
Style_council
hannahnicole

I think luckily, being racist, homophobic, and any other form of disrespect,
is getting more and more, socially unacceptable. with that said there
are still many people like her that just say dumb things. Seriously,
what gave her the right to think she could say something like that.
It’s not like being gay is a new thing? In my opinion, we can only live one life,
do with it what makes you happy, and with the person that you love, and that’s all that matters, well that’s all that should matter. Luckily, what that girl said has caused so much conflict, so that people know it’s wrong, so that maybe she will rethink her opinion.
and one more thing, what a great role model, let’s teach kids to be homophobic?
she is a complete idiot!
xoxo

BirdsandBees
Style_council
BirdsandBees

I’ve been raised in a Christian family, and have taken the beliefs to be my own.
I do not support gay marriage, and think it’s wrong. By all means, I know plenty of gay people and have many friends. I still love them like any other person.
It’s hard though…because all my idols are gay, haha. Marc Jacobs, Andy Warhol…plenty of people in the fashion/art industry.

I do not support gay marriage at all. But I still love everybody the same.

Michael993
Style_council
Michael993

I don’t thinking that signing a piece of paper validates a relationship in any way, so I don’t plan to get married. However, being gay, I do support gay marriage and I know that eventually it’s going to be legalized. People can’t continue to use their religious beliefs as a means to deny others the right to marry.

And as mallobar said, why do all these straight conservative Christians care about gay marriage anyway? Why does it concern them? I understand that they have a right to speak out on the issue, but I can’t understand why they bother.

Of course I suppose legalizing gay marriage would destroy the ‘sanctity’ of their heterosexual marriages, most of which end in divorce, by the way. Straight people have ruined marriage all by themselves, but they have to find some scapegoat for that at the end of the day, so they point the finger at us.

I think people need to leave their religious beliefs out of this debate, because this boils down to lawmaking, which should never involve religion.

BirdsandBees
Style_council
BirdsandBees

Never mind the fact that our country was founded on Christian principles…

Michael993
Style_council
Michael993

Well I guess that also means that all the Americans who are Jewish, Buddhist, Atheist, Agnostic, etc etc should be deported somewhere.

That was then, this is now. Not everyone in the US is Christian. If a law is made it’s going to apply to the whole of the country, and not everyone shares the same beliefs. That’s why there’s separation of church and state.

By the way, the US was also founded on liberal thinking and moving forward.

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

Michael993, I totally agree with you though I am straight.

Personally I think marriage is bullshit, but using religion as an excuse to keep it man-woman is ridiculous. At least give homosexual couples the same rights as married couples! There’s civil unions, but that’s still not equality. If you’re not gay, I don’t see how this issue could even affect you in a negative way.

…there’s more opinions I have that are far more offensive, but I’m not going to share them for good reason.

thefieldsofelysium

thefieldsofe...

Never mind the fact that our country was founded on Christian principles…

Would one of those principles be stealing land from Native Americans, which was followed up with atrocities like the Trail of Tears?

1 2 4
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password