Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

Should bloggers be required to include disclaimers if their opinions were purchased by someone else?

Most of the time I see advertising or promotion on blogs, it’s harmless—nothing noteworthy, and there’s usually a disclaimer regardless. But I just read that an organization in Russia was literally paying bloggers to support Putin for the upcoming election—up to thousands of rubles for making pro-Putin comments or posts.

Of course, there’s no disclaimer for something like that.. But should there be? If they were required to have disclaimers, would that infringe on peoples’ right to free speech and expression on the internet?

posted over 7 years ago
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I don’t know. Magazines have to, but they don’t if they’re just reviewing a product. I’ve been told to not mention that I got a product for free, which I thought was wierd, but I can see how people might not take your review seriously if they know you didn’t purchase the products of your own accord. If you’re honest in your reivews, this doesn’t matter. If you lie or don’t mention negative aspects then being required to post a disclaimer would help readers make their own decision.

posted over 7 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

surprise surprise, Putin won the election :|

posted over 7 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password