SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
sorcha_a
Style_council
sorcha_a

Hi everyone!

I have an interview tomorrow! Its in a media job, so usually they are quite relaxed. Usually to interviews ive worn black trousers and a shirt but I feel so dull and boring in that and it shows no personality. Any one have any ideas of what I could wear instead of this?

Any piccies of examples would be amazing cause im not completely up on all the fashion jargon :)

xxx

posted over 8 years ago
MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

Even in relaxed industries, it’s wise to dress more formally than you would for a standard work day because it shows respect to the interviewers and demonstrates that you have the good sense to know when to put your best foot forward. So I still recommend sticking to classic business formal elements like suit separates, blazers, trousers, knee-length skirts, button-downs and blouses, etc . . . even if that’s a little “boring” . . . but work with them to make a more interesting look by using texture, color, and your accessories to show off your personality and good taste. Consider a blouse in a pretty color or gauzy texture, pants/blazer in a neutral other than black (Grey? Camel? Pinstriped? Etc), or a colorful bag, trendier shoes, or a statement necklace or scarf.

Some useful links:
Cubicle Chic (look for the business formal looks)
College Fashion article on interview outfits
Workchic

posted over 8 years ago

Florida
Style_council
Florida

I think you can still wear the classic pieces like black pencil skirt and black dress or white shirt which will show your classic and serious side of you. But since it is in media industry where i think they dont really appreciate dull, you can ass some statement accessories:
brooches (two/three together on your black dress maybe)
statement necklace over your white shirt
colorful silk scarf
keep the outfit basic and classic and just let them know with your accessories that there is more to you than meets the eye

posted over 8 years ago

Val27
Style_council
Val27

i agree with two previous comments- just accessirize

posted over 8 years ago

kat_mauvais
Style_council
kat_mauvais

Yup, formal with a fun statement piece.

posted over 8 years ago

ninety2wo
Style_council
ninety2wo

I have the same outfit I use for all my interviews. It’s a pair of great black skinny trousers from Zara, a fitted black blazer, a flowy nude blouse tucked in and some heels :)

posted over 8 years ago

fernandafgm
Style_council
fernandafgm

I don`t really know because I never went to any job interview so I never really got interested in knowing about what outfit to wear in such a case, but I guess you should go more simple but casual right? looking confident and mature but not sexy right?

posted over 8 years ago

andreamq
Style_council
andreamq

maybe an elegant sleeveless short dress (knee hight) with pump shoes! and a blazer would look formal too!

posted over 8 years ago

midwestmayhem
Style_council
midwestmayhem

My interview basic outfit is: High waisted black knee length skirt, patterned black & white blouse with a collar that ties into a bow, black fitted blazer, nude nylons (look more professional than tights), and simple black heels. It gives a little bit of personality but it’s still simple and “clean cut”. Last time I went to a temp agency the recruiters told me that it was the “perfect” interview outfit.

posted over 8 years ago

maredight
Style_council
maredight

HERE is what I wore in my interview yesterday!
If you want to show more personality you should use accesories. A necklace or some fun earings maybe?

posted over 8 years ago

Elaa
Style_council
Elaa

a blazer!!

posted over 8 years ago

pinklemonincrystal
Style_council
pinklemoninc...

how about a well structured cape?
i have a gray cape from Zara and it looks chic and quite suitable for work as well
or a camel coat really well structured one if you want to look more sophisticated

depends on your preference of images i guess…

posted over 8 years ago

Farmgirlwrites
Style_council
Farmgirlwrites

Something formal, definitely. ^Ditto, midwestmayhem.

posted over 8 years ago

InBetweenSeams
Style_council
InBetweenSeams

Wear red lipstick! It will be easier for them to remember you :)

x

Elizabeth
www.inbetweenseams.com

posted over 8 years ago

kitschy_
Style_council
kitschy_

Pencil skirts are perfect for interviews. Then add a silky top with a statement jewelry piece to stand out. You’ll look formal but will also display your personality for the creative oriented job.

posted over 8 years ago

katiecosette
Style_council
katiecosette

I have an interview on Sunday and I am wearing a black knee-length skirt, but to make it more fun and show my personality I’m wearing bright blue tights and possibly a peacock feather hair clip. I think it’s a good idea to wear traditional basics with one or two fun, unique pieces that show who you are.

posted over 8 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password